Viewing: 1-20 of 28 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Great job Brian!
Posted Jul 31, 2002 8:39 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Nicely done. I'm hoping to get to this one this coming summer so the info is helpful. Thank you.
Posted Dec 26, 2002 4:30 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks. Hope you enjoy that area as much as I do.
Posted Dec 26, 2002 9:39 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks!
Posted Dec 27, 2002 9:14 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Excellent page.

couting down the days till summer - would be great to nail a few more Wallowa giants incl. this one.
Posted Jan 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks. I'd love to get out there again as well this summer. 4 or 5 others I would like to do. Was thinking about Aneroid Peak for a Spring one from looking at your trip info there. We'll see....
Posted Jan 28, 2003 9:07 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Yeah, we too have yet to nail Aneroid. Also thinking about Chief Joseph Mtn. as a good (day) hike. Would love to do Eagle Cap but that's a VERY solid overnighter (ideally would need 3 days).
Posted Jan 28, 2003 9:22 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Yeah, my ideal trip there this summer would be to Climb Twin Peaks and Sawtooth Peak one day at the Hurricane Creek trailhead on day one. Hike down and summit Sacajawea and camp somewhere coming back to the Creek (if one couldn't just descend the scree on the west side, not sure if that is viable or if there are cliffs). Then on day 3 hike to Eagle Cap. Day 4 summit the Cap and hike out. We'll see though. I have so many climbing/hiking "plans" already for this summer, I wonder which ones will really happen....
Posted Jan 28, 2003 11:52 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

...that kind of marathon would deserve a trip report!

That's quite a work out you're proposing Brian!!!

sounds really cool.
Posted Jan 28, 2003 12:18 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Nicely done. The text and photos are informative. I would like to see more pictures of this big and colorful area, so you Oregon climbers get on it! The area reminds me of Colorado more than any other part of Oregon I've seen on SP yet.
Posted May 5, 2003 9:01 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks for the vote!
Posted Dec 14, 2003 8:24 pm

SharonUntitled Comment

Sharon

I grew up about an hour from this area, and now live 4 hours north of the Wallowas. Until your page I had absolutely no appreciation of this region. Thank you!
Posted Feb 23, 2004 2:14 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite areas in Oregon.
Posted Feb 23, 2004 11:12 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Apr 29, 2004 11:48 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Hey Dennis. Thanks for all the votes. My, you were busy tonight. :- )
Posted Dec 29, 2004 12:52 am

Dennis PoulinUntitled Comment

Dennis Poulin

I'm just dreaming about getting back into the mountains. You have lots of good stuff posted. keep up the good work.
Posted Dec 29, 2004 11:04 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks. Keep thinking about North Sister this summer!
Posted Dec 29, 2004 7:59 pm

Dennis PoulinUntitled Comment

Dennis Poulin

North Sister is definitely on my list. I will camp out there all summer if I have to get that bad girl!!
Posted Dec 29, 2004 10:13 pm

mrhOverview pic

mrh

I must say I really like that main Overview pic! I've always been a bit perplexed at its relatively low rating, but at least the important people like it. Thanks.
Posted Mar 1, 2006 10:08 pm

donhaller3Great site.

donhaller3

This was the page that led me to discover summitpost--had googled Sacajawea. Thank you, thank you, thank you'

Comments that I hope are helpful.
1. The areas under high angle limestone seemed to have a steady low frequency rain of generally small pieces of rock really whizzing down, with an occasional big thumper.

2. The limestone in the lower angle SE Ridge can go from solid to stuff you can step through in a single stride.

3. Per a climber I talked to, one of the rangers says there have been a few parties trying "big wall techniques" on the huge E face/wall, but have had problems with rockfall and friable zones.

4. A guess, but beautiful Thorp Creek Basin looks like it may be Oregon's biggest avalanche sump in winter and early spring.

5. Thorp Creek and the surrounding peaks may be Oregon's most spectacular alpine area.
Posted Feb 26, 2007 8:56 am