Aaron JohnsonWow!

Aaron Johnson

This is an outstanding page. Much thought and research obviously was poured into this labor of love. Awesome writing as usual, excellent selection of photos, great links. This range ended up in great hands! Nice layout, superb style.
Posted Mar 22, 2006 3:28 am

RyanSRe: Wow!

RyanS

Thanks, Aaron, and sorry it was so long in coming. Your post last week inspired me to get my ass in gear and finish the page :)
Posted Mar 22, 2006 7:02 pm

JonBradfordQuality

JonBradford

Very nice Ryan. You did an outstanding job.
Jon
Posted Mar 22, 2006 4:21 am

RyanSRe: Quality

RyanS

Thank you, Jon!
Posted Mar 22, 2006 7:01 pm

KaneRyan!

Kane

Another stellar effort. Maybe the best one of the (area/range)bunch.
Posted Mar 23, 2006 2:01 am

Ryan KowalskiDynamite

Ryan Kowalski

Your really nailed this one. The geology section is a great synthesis overview of this area. Hats off to you, it must have taken some serious work
Posted Mar 28, 2006 7:39 pm

KieferSweet!

Kiefer

Very nice, well drawn out page! You have some awesome information integrated here. The geology section is espacially good. It's apparent you put in some time constructing this.
Nice work!
Posted Jun 19, 2006 11:05 pm

RyanSRe: Sweet!

RyanS

Thanks a lot!
Posted Jun 20, 2006 10:02 pm

SteveBonowskiAccess Closures

CMC has been notified by the Manitou Institute that as of August 1, they are no longer approving requests for access across their property at the Cottonwood Creek trailhead. Reasons include large numbers of requests, people camping on the private property without permission, parking issues, and removal of private property signs. Access in the area to the USFS land is still available via North Crestone, Willow Creek, and Liberty Road gate to the south across the National Park.

CMC is working with locals, including some from the spiritual community in Crestone, to try and find an alternate route into the Cottonwood Creek drainage. One possible route was identified last month, but carries its own problems due to being on someone else's land, in part. Further meetings are expected into the fall.

The Spanish Creek trailhead is also private, and closed by the property owner.

Steve Bonowski
Posted Aug 9, 2007 6:47 pm

RyanSRe: Access Closures

RyanS

Thanks, Steve. I've updated information on this and several of my other pages.
Posted Aug 10, 2007 1:24 pm

westanimasConglomerate

westanimas

Beautiful page! My introduction to this range was driving back and forth along 160 when I was a kid. I have been drawn to it all of my life!

One question, correct me if I'm wrong on the technicality, but isn't the Sangre conglomerate actually metamorphic and not sedimentary? I think that explains how the originating sedimentary composite became so hardened...and so wonderful for climbing :)
Posted May 22, 2012 11:06 pm

RyanSRe: Conglomerate

RyanS

Good question. I had a Colorado geologist friend review the text, but I can't guarantee 100% accuracy. I'll look into your inquiry when I have some free time.
Posted Jun 1, 2012 5:48 pm