Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 32.23739°N / 110.67702°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 7, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Scots Knob (2915 feet) is a hill just north of the Saguaro National East boundary, and about 1 mile east of the Douglas Springs Trailhead. It seems to be on Tanque Verde Ranch property. A trail from the DS TH to Scots Knob is indicated on CalTopo, but not on either MyTopo or FS Topo. Access is through a gate to the right of the Tanque Verde Ranch sign next to the DS TH. Once you are through the gate, it can get a little confusing, because a multitude of trails have been cut by the ranch for use by guests on horse rides about the property. Many of the trails Rob and I came across were 2 or 3 feet deep ruts worn in the landscape by years of use.

It became apparent very quickly that we weren't following the track on CalTopo, but it didn't matter, because all trails seemed to lead us towards the summit. We stayed close to the track on the map, which took us a bit north before heading south and east again. We stopped in one wash to take some photos, so the trip took a little longer than if one went straight to the summit and back. When we got to the point where we turned north towards the summit, Rob's legs were getting a little wobbly again, so he stayed put while I went to the top.

On the summit there is a Forest Service benchmark, apparently marked as a triangulation station, but not indicated as such on any topo. No altitude is marked, just the year (1933).

Coming off the summit southbound, I quickly reached the park boundary fence, and followed a track along the fence line back to Rob. From there, we stayed on tracks that hugged the fence line, which would be the route I would recommend for the quickest and easiest way to the summit.



Comments

No comments posted yet.