Seclusion Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lisae

lisae - May 2, 2007 11:39 pm - Voted 10/10

First roped climb?

I noticed in the climber's log you mentioned one of the climbs was your first roped outdoor climb. I hope you enjoyed it and it is the first of many!

Cheers!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 3, 2007 5:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: First roped climb?

Thanks, Lisa. I've been soloing all this time, getting comfortable even on 5.5 and 5.6 when the exposure isn't too bad, but it's also been so limiting. My main drawback has always been finding a partner, but now maybe I will have an occasional one, and maybe I will learn the technique of toproping solo.

It was fun. Tricky at first, as the climb started with a type of situation totally new to me, but I got it after a few tries and then went on up.

Deb

Deb - May 8, 2007 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Question

Looks like great climbing, I like the page but why don't you recommend climbing on lead? Why only top-rope?

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 8, 2007 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Question

Thank you for commenting.

Only because I don't have the technical knowledge to describe what equipment would be needed. Most technical climbing at Great Falls is by toprope because of the good natural anchors, the prohibitions on placing permanent protection, and the nature of the rock, which is said to easily break itself or cause equipment to break. Some people do lead at Great Falls (and I indicate that on the mountain/rock pages I've been making), mostly on the better crack routes, though I have seen pictures of people leading 5.10 and 5.11 faces.

Looking at the pictures, do you think this route can be led? I suspect it can. Should I at least add trad climbing to the activities list?

Deb

Deb - May 8, 2007 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Question

Oh definitely! My eyes are falling into many cracks that may willingly accept cams, hexes and large nuts.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Seclusion' main page