Sexten/Sesto Dolomites

Sexten/Sesto Dolomites

This is the view toward famous Sundail of Sexten. There are following peaks pictured (in clockwise motion): Zehner (10 a.m.-Rotwandspitze/Croda Rossa 2.965m), Elfer (11 a.m.-Elferkofel/Cima Undia 3.092m) and Zwölfer (12 p.m.-Zwölferkofel/Cima Dodici 3.094m). There are also Neuner (9 a.m.) and Einser (1 p.m.) not visible in this picture. This is how Sundail works: At noon true local time, the sun is exactly in the south and has reached its highest point; the observer exactly to the north sees the sun over the peak. The same thing can be done for the other hour mountains. On a side note, the evening that I took this photo was so cold (it was around -20ºC, with wind) that my camera and lens were completely frozen on the outside. Both batteries were dead in one hour time. But well worth it, nevertheless.
stjepann
on Apr 20, 2010 9:28 am
Image ID: 614890

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
oldandslow

oldandslow - Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Low Light

A beautiful low light image.

EricChu

EricChu - Jan 28, 2021 11:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for the info!

I was always wondering what the numbers in the peaks' names are supposed to indicate. So that's what it has to do with - the position of the sun. Only, during which period exactly? Summer solstice? Winter solstice? Equinox? Possibly the sun will always be at noon above the Zwölferkofel / Croda dei Toni, but the others?
A wonderful photo you took, by the way! Yes, -20 degrees Celsius is not uncommon in Sexten and the top of the Pustertal. I've always known San Candido / Innichen to be freezing cold with a biting wind in February.
Cheers,
Eric

Viewing: 1-2 of 2