Shellrock Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
YEM

YEM - Mar 29, 2010 1:19 am Date Climbed: Mar 28, 2010

North Side from Wyeth  Sucess!

I started with a left at the Wyeth exit and followed a road to the power lines on the west side of Shellrock. I took a trail into the talus to the NW side and left it when it stopped climbing. The idea was to keep the cliffs on my right and avoid talus as much as possible. There was a fun ledge to get across one of the cliff bands and then on to the top. The knife edge ridge on the north side is one of the best in the gorge. I'll do more exploring on a drier day.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Feb 11, 2008 5:23 pm Date Climbed: Nov 27, 2004

Northeast ridge  Sucess!

For over forty years as I passed this on the freeway I wondered what was up there. In the mid 80's, I took my kids as far as the old wagon road but did not venture any farther than the end of the talus less than 1/2 way up due to the poison oak. Finally made it and found the less-than-inspiring summit. Not to worry, though, this is still a worthwhile hike especially if you go a few hundred yards past the summit(to the south) where the trees thin out and good views are to be had.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 27, 2008 11:16 pm Date Climbed: Jan 21, 2008

Northeast Ridge  Sucess!

Finally did this one. Weather was crappy everywhere else so I did this one on a very cold January day. Easy enough to find the right spot to head up (although an auto carrier truck stopped there too and the guy just stayed in his truck which made me somewhat nervous). Headed up the switchbacks and saw lots of cougar tracks in the snow above there. Neat old warning station but the ridge after that was hard to navigate as there is a maze of game trails. Not too bad just heading up and came across the summit cairn easy enough. Was way too far SE of the ridge on the way down (I lost the trail) and then headed too far left one below the cliffs. Popped out above and right of the rock field but managed to find my way down to the car (which was safe and sound). Headed across at Hood River and did Wind Mountain to finish up the day.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Shellrock Mountain' main page