Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.24165°N / 1.70545°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8192 ft / 2497 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pedraforca is one of the most beautiful mountains in Catalonia. It has two main peaks that look like a pitchfork when viewed from the East (Pedraforca means 'pitchfork of stone' in Catalan). The North face is a steep rocky wall in which dificult climbing was introduced in Catalonia by Lluis Estasen in 1928. Nowadays a lot of people ascent it by the normal route, specially in summer, because it is easy. The route climbs the north peak (Pollegó Superior), which is the highest. It is a nice route, you cross a forest, walk up a col (Coll del Verdet), climb a little rocky section (very easy) and follow the ridge overhanging the north face (a little aerial). The descent usually is made by the stonefield which lies between the two peaks. The other peak (Pollegó Inferior) is about 2400 m and it can also be climbed easily. There are more technical routes in the north face of the north peak and in the south face of the south peak.

Getting There

From Barcelona you must go to Berga (road C-16) and follow the principal road just before arriving in Guardiola de Berguedà, where you turn left to Saldes, the village just below the mountain. You can follow the road to Gosol and have a look to the west face, quite different!

Red Tape

No permits required. Free acces, but the Pedraforca massif is a protected area, so you must respect animals and plants (as always!).

When To Climb

The mountain can be climbed all seasons. From December to April usually with snow, which makes the ascent a little more difficult.

Camping

Free Camping is not allowed in the area, but in summer weather conditions are fine, so you can bivouac easily. It is a very wonderful experience to see the sunrise from the top, but don´t go in St. Joan, you won´t find a place! Of course there are nice public campings near the mountain where you will find all the services.

Mountain Conditions

Meteo info can be obtained from: www.gencat.es/servmet/ (It is important because the weather in the area can change quite rapidly and storms are heavy) For the mountain conditions better ask to the guardian of the Estasen´s refuge: Tel. 938220079-608315312 General information for climbing in Catalonia in: www.feec.org

Books about Pedraforca

"Alt Berguedà i Cardener". Agustí Jolis i M. Antònia Simó. Centre Excursionista de Catalunya. Barcelona, 1950(first edition) : A classic book of Pedraforca and surrounding area. Includes the classical first routes of some difficulty made in Catalonia.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lisu

lisu - Nov 23, 2002 6:25 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I have modified the information about camping because I know it was misleading. I have added "free" to mean camping out of a public camping.

ALICIA - Nov 16, 2002 1:05 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Firt category camping very close to the Pedraforca mountain and the Natural Park Cadi-Moixero . Open all year round. Bungalow rent. More information in www,campingpedraforca.com

lisu

lisu - Nov 23, 2002 6:25 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I have modified the information about camping because I know it was misleading. I have added "free" to mean camping out of a public camping.

genispp

genispp - Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm - Hasn't voted

External link

Hello!!! I am Genís of Gósol I am created a new external link of Pedraforca massif in last summer 2006: http://genisgosol.deviantart.com/gallery/scraps/

Babidi - Nov 2, 2010 5:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Removing unavailable external link

Link named "Gósol Pedraforca" is no longer available.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.