Vrsic pass route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.32000°N / 13.70000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, Rock Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike with ferrata sections
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Vrsic pass is starting point. For more details check gething there section.


Route Description


From the Vrsic pass, by the Ticarjev Dom hut macadam road ascents towards Postarski Dom hut. You follow it till the sharp left bend and continue straight. Path goes around Sovna Glava (1748m) and reaches the pass at the foothill of Prisojnik. It gradually ascends; traversing long scree slopes bellow Prisojnik’s west face. After a short sharper climb it reaches SW shoulder of Prisojnik. From here is beautiful view on the mountain surrounding Trenta valley, which is deep bellow, especially on Jalovec (2645m) and mighty Planja, our goal.

Just behind is the junction where path via southwestern shoulder climbs towards Prisojnik. From this point you have to loose 200 vertical meters. Path descends over grassy slopes, with some scree and larch trees. When you reach the pastures of Kranjska Planina path turns left. Next section is relatively flat as path traverses grassy slopes of Prisojnik, high above Mlinarica valley, cutting many gullies, which are steeply falling from Prisojnik above. In front is towering Razor. After passing by a nice source path begins steep ascent in many sharp bends and you are getting near the end of Mlinarica valley that is squeezed between the cliffs of Prisojnik and Razor. There is more and more scree and less grass. On top of highest grass, at the altitude of some 2000m you are joined, from the left, by Jubilejna Pot ferrata that descended from Prisojnik’s summit via Zadnje Okno (Back Window).

Path continues to ascent steeply over the huge scree slopes at the end of Mlinarica valley till it reaches the entrance to Razor’s west face and first pegs and fixed ropes. Above, in the ridge, are some very wild needles. Snow remains here very long so it is good to have ice axe and crampons till the end of June. Steep shelf in the face will take you far to the right. At very interesting and dark spot path turns left and climbs steeply till it reaches more open spaces higher in the face. Views are fantastic. As it reaches the foothills of the summit cliffs, path turns right and traverses scree slopes that take you to Planja pass (2349m). View that opens towards the east and Triglav (2864m) will surely surprise you.

From here you turn right and ascend on Planja over short scree and slope.

You descend by the same route or you descend to the Pogacnikov hut.


Essential Gear


Good hiking shoes, helmet.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PlanjaRoutes