Silverado motorway

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bald Peak is located in the Cleveland National Forest on the dividing line between Orange and Riverside counties. At 3947 feet it is one of the minor peaks in the Santa Ana Mountains. Santiago peak towers above it at 5687 feet.

There is a parking area at the very end of the Silverado Canyon Road. A dirt road continues on in the same direction as the pavement. It crosses a small stream, then continues past the unmarked Bedford Peak trail, which is on the left just past the stream. From there it is a steady 2000 foot climb to the top. Most of the hike is on an abandoned dirt road, which is labeled on the topographic map as "Silverado Motorway". There are some footpaths near the top. The trail joins the Main Divide Truck Trail, which runs along the crest of the Santa Ana Mountains. After reaching Bedford Peak continue on main divide road for another 2 miles until Bald Peak appears. From the summit, you will be rewarded an amazing view in all directions.

It is a nice view from the peak on a clear winter day, with snow capped mountains lying far in the distance to the north and east. Assuming a half hour lunch break, schedule about 4½ hours for the hike. The round trip distance is 10 miles.

Getting There

Same as above.

Route Description

The majority of the route is a well trodded trail and dirt road, the main divide road. The most strenous portion of the trail is the silverado motorway which includes a 2000 foot vertical rise.

Essential Gear

Just some food and plenty of water, especially in the summer months.

External Links

Add External Links text here.