Skardu Valley

Skardu Valley

Skardu Valley is part of the Baltistan, Baltistan is spread over an area of 24,438 square kilometres - just right below the jagged and glaciated ramparts of the Karakoram Range. Once part of Laddakh, it was known as Tibet-i-Khurd - Little Tibet. Skardu is linked to the national capital, Islamabad by PIA which operates one flight daily. The tourist season is from April to October. The maximum temperature is 27C and the minimum (October) 8C. Apart from its incomparable cluster of mountain peaks and glaciers Baltistan’s five valleys- Shigar, Skardu, Khaplu, Rondu and Kharmang are noted for their luscious peaches, apricots, apples and pears. Skardu is the gateway to the mountain peaks of the Karakorams. Skardu has a historic Fort atop a ridge known as the Mindoq-Khar or Castle of Queen Mindoq and three lovely lakes. The two- Kachura Lake 29 kms. and Stapra Lake 8 kms. from Sakrdu- are ideal for fishing. The Deosai Plains are 32 km south of Skardu. This plateau is the habitat of the greatly threatened Himalayan Brown Bear and many other wild animals. At an average elevation of 3500 metres.
Karrar Haidri
on Nov 17, 2008 11:40 am
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 464051

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Nov 17, 2008 5:41 pm - Voted 10/10

amazing !

That's really huge, very nice place and great shot with nice informative caption.

Tomek

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Nov 17, 2008 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: amazing !

Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2