Ski ride "Matterhorn - Cervino Tour"

Ski ride "Matterhorn - Cervino Tour"

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.97549°N / 7.65747°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: OSA
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wonderful free ride ski-tour of three days around one of the most beautiful mountain in the world: the Matterhorn or "Cervino" - 4478 m.
The tour touches Italy and Switzerland and can be run also during the summer in five days by foot.
Matterhorn ski-tour is not so difficult from technical point of view, but the path passes in an aware alpine ambient: you can see more than 30 4000nder of the Alps running five alpine passes.

Getting There

The tour starts from Breuil Cervinia (AO) - Italy.

International Airports: Torino - Caselle, Milano - Malpensa

Highway: from Torino: A5 (E25); exit: Chatillon, from Milano: A4 (E64) - A5 (E25); exit: Chatillon

Route Description

First day

The tour starts from Breuil-Cervinia (2000 m), where you can take the cableway to Plateau Rosà (3488 m). Frome here you can admire the est wall of Matterhorn.
Matterhorn 4478 - Est Wall


Following the ski run, you start descending towards Teodulo pass (west), where is positioned also the Teodulo refuge (3317 m); then you have to continue the descend belong the ski run till you arrive at Furgg (2332 m).

Here you put the skins under your ski in order to ascend to Schwarzsee Station (2593 m), where you can observe the Hornli ridge (North-Est) of Matterhorn.

Matterhorn - 4478 m
At Schwarzsee finishes the part of the ride belong the ski runs and begins the wilde path. You have now to descend toward Zmutt glacier (west) crossing Untere-Stafelalp till you reach Stafel (2200 m).

From here is visible the wonderful and famous North Face of Matterhorn, where Walter Bonatti during winter 1965 opened one of the most difficult way alone, climbing it in 3 days.
Matterhorn - 4478 m - North Wall


Now you have to run a very long qite flat path, following the Zmutt glacier, till it starts to go up. On the left you have the North wall of Matterhorn, and on your right tha south wall of Dent Blanche. At the end of this long flat part of the ride you can see the wonderful shape of the north wall of Dent d'Herens.

Here the route turns on right towards Schonbielhuette (2694 m), placed on an higher rocky ridge (covered by snow during the winter and the spring), from which you can see the Matterhorn's Zmutt ridge.
Matterhorn - Cervino - 4478 m - North-West







Overnight: Schonbielhuette - 2694 m
Total climb: 600 m
Descending: 1200 m
Time: 5-6 h


Second Day

Second day is the harder of the three you need to run the Matterhorn ski tour: today you have to climb three alpine pass and you reach the maximum elevation of all the tour at Valpelline pass - 3588 m.

From Schonbielhuette you have first of all to descend again on the Zmutt Glacier (only 200 m), then, turning a little on the right (west) you have to begin to ascend toward Valpelline Pass (3588 m). This is the longest ascending path of the tour (around 1200 m). In front of you there is the magnific North wall of Dent d'Herens (4171 m), with a lot of hanging seracs, and backward you can admire the amazing west side of Matterhorn with the wonderful line of Zmutt ridge rising toward the top.

Essential Gear

Ski, skins, crampons, light ice ax, helmet, heavy jacket and pants

External Links

Add External Links text here.