Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Reflections

Augie, your reflections are well worth considering as I start to introduce my own kids to hiking, scrambling, and climbing. Even watching my son, soon to be 4, doing a little kid bouldering is an exercise in inner conflict; part of me wants to steer him away from what looks to me to be too hard for him, but another part wants to see him try. But he's going to experiment. We were crossing a stream the other day, and I got ahead to catch him and carry him across a spot that I thought was too wide for him to hop. Before I was ready for him, he leaped over and continued on. I guess even at his age, there's a sense of what is and isn't possible, just as we eye a Class 5 downclimb and judge whether we can do it or not. But I'll still try to be there in case he's wrong.

By the way, hats off to your daughter for keeping on after the close encounter with that boulder. That would have unnerved many other people past the point of continuing.

Bob

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 28, 2008 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Reflections

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Bob. You've made a point I didn't really cover and that is how kids instinctively seem to know their boundaries, unlike many adults. Yes, I guess there will always be that lurking concern about mishaps, but harm can come anywhere in real life.

Yep, Alicia is a tough cookie and her let-er-rip attitude has been a cause for concern at times. But she's her own person and Dad only has so much influence.

Joe White

Joe White - Aug 28, 2008 8:45 pm - Voted 10/10

cool

and inspiring

thx

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: cool

Thank you Joe. I truly appreciate your looking at the article.

Cheers,

Augie

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Aug 28, 2008 9:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Report!

Very inspiring. I always love to see when children, regardless of how old they are, enjoy the outdoors and continue the passion of their dads/moms. To me there is nothing more bonding and intimate in a sense to be with your kids in the outdoors by yourselfs. No distractions from our "beloved" modern gadgets. Cheers.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 28, 2008 11:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report!

Right on! Exactly the way it is.

Best regards,

Augie

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Aug 29, 2008 1:13 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Job

great read and an important piece to remember as we introduce our family and friends to the mountains. As you so adeptly pointed out near accidents happen all the time and it is the risk that all of us take to do what we love. I am glad you had a great time (and Safe!) with your kids.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 29, 2008 9:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Job

Thank you kindly.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 2, 2008 9:03 pm - Voted 10/10

definition of success

...everyone has a good time and none get hurt; that's it.

Often I think Secor descriptions are sandbags; but I think he just happened to find the one good route, perhaps after beta and many tries. Knowing that a good route exists is one thing; finding it is a wholly different matter.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 3, 2008 12:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: definition of success

Couldn't agree more. Whenever I see a description that some terrain feature is "obvious" I take it with a grain of salt; sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Secor uses that word alot.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Sep 2, 2008 10:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Balance

Your report shows nicely the art of balancing safety and adventure with your kids. Hats off to you that you raised two adult children that continue to love scrambling with you. On a trip report I did recently about scrambling with my with my 11 year old, someone posted a comment that to most kids "a summit is just a nice place to have lunch". That is, the adventure going up is the key to a great time. From your experience, it seems to hold true for your 20+ year old kids as well. Great Job.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 3, 2008 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Balance

Thanks for your comment. Sounds like you can look forward to decades of outings with your child.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Sep 2, 2008 10:33 pm - Voted 10/10

The Family That Climbs Together...

...Has a Lot of Fun!! Great story Augie, I really enjoyed it. I love to see a dad out with the kids, even when they are grown. I could relate to you feelings as well, I remember taking my son and daughter rock climbing and mtn. biking when they were in their early teens...great memories. Then their mom moved to Texas with them and I missed the rest of their growing up. You are greatly blessed. Vic

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 3, 2008 1:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The Family That Climbs Together...

Thanks very much, Vic. Great to hear from you.

Augie

David Rosenberg - Sep 4, 2008 11:40 pm - Hasn't voted

My reaction

I saw the title of your article and I was ready to kill you. Then I saw the age of your children and I relaxed. I must be a father too. :) I have an 11 year old who climbs very well, yet every time I take him on any hike with exposure, I freeze up inside but try not to say anything that is unnecessary. Still there isn't much you can do with the deep emotional attachments that connect you.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 5, 2008 11:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: My reaction

As a parent, as you say "with the deep emotional attachments," I'm confident that you'll never lose that concern when the going gets a little dicey, no matter how old your child.

imzadi

imzadi - Sep 16, 2008 12:48 pm - Voted 9/10

being a parent

This article touches on an important topic for any parent...when to let go and let your children put to use the skills that you have taught them. As with anything in life, as a parent, you can only teach them what you know, what you've learned. They will go out on their own...heck you did, right?
I have five wonderful children and I fight with this every day...in hiking and in other aspects of life. When ARE they old enough to know what they can do? When do YOU step in as a parent and say "NO"?
Anyway, it is the challenge that draws all of us to this sport; the adventure and the danger; the complete exhilaration of reaching the peak...it's part of what you love about it. You have done well to instill this love in your children. You have also done well to help them see when they need to step back and admit that today is not the day to reach that peak (remember, they did agree with you to come down via that boring trail).
Keep reaching for that elusive peak...

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 16, 2008 1:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: being a parent

Thank you for your response. You put it very well. Wow, 5 kids! Good going, although I'm sure it's a challenge just having that many.

silversummit

silversummit - Sep 28, 2008 1:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Everything has a level of risk!

From the ride to the trailhead to the unexpected climb over a crag. It's just that we are used to certain levels of risk and they don't faze us until something pushes them into the forefront for us or reminds us that we have ignored them. We probably wouldn't do anything new or fun if we were constantly worrying about the risks but I think it's good to be 'gently' reminded once in awhile. Luckily you and your family are okay. And you got a lesson in letting go as a father. I'd say everyone came out ahead! Great article by the way!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Everything has a level of risk!

Thanks for your comments. Totally agree with your perspective. We need to respect risk but not be hamstrung by it.

Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
Return to 'Skirting the Volcano's Edge or Acceptable Challenge? Our Family Experience on Cloudripper and Hurd Peak' main page