Sloan Canyon Mystic Mountain

Sloan Canyon Mystic Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.89710°N / 115.14207°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3965 ft / 1209 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mystic Mountain is located within the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area (NCA).  Its neighboring peaks are Sutor Peak and Black Mountain, both also located within the Sloan Canyon NCA.

Administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Sloan Canyon NCA is home to the famed Sloan Petroglyph Site which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Archaeologists believe that there are more than 300 rock art panels with 1,700 design elements on the Site which were created by the native cultures between the Archaic to historic eras.

Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area is 48,438 acres of scenic and geologic features and extraordinary culture resources located just south of the big city of Las Vegas.  The North McCullough Wilderness area is located with the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area.  Standard wilderness area rules apply. Mechanized/motorized travel is not allowed (including bikes).

Getting There

Park at the Magnolia Substation just off the Inspirada Access Road and Las Vegas Blvd.  Click for a map.

Route

This is no trail but the terrain is fairly easy. From the substation head to the far right (West) foothill of the mountain.  From the foothill gradually follow the ridgeline to the top.  There is no scrambling at all.

Red Tape

None.

When to Climb

Winter, Early Spring, Late Fall

Camping

Dispersed Camping within the BLM land is allowed.  More information on camping can be found here:
https://thedyrt.com/camping/nevada/sloan-canyon-dispersed-camping

External Links

BLM site on Sloan Canyon Petroglyphs