Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 14, 2010 9:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Questions

It's good to see a page for the South Trailhead. It would be helpful to know what amenities are available at the trailhead, especially for us out-of-town visitors.

- Drinking water?
- Toilets?
- Overnight campsites? Fee or free?
- Are camping/hiking permits required?
- What about winter access? Is the road plowed?

Hostilejim

Hostilejim - Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Questions

There are overnight camping sites along the 4wd road, and for what I know there is no permit required to camp there. There is the Lakeview Campground a short bit below the trailhead, and there is water and toilets there. Also, there is winter access to this trailhead.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 14, 2010 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Questions

Thanks. Nice page!

ClimbingRandy

ClimbingRandy - Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Road to High Trailhead

Thanks for the page! Doing a winter ascent in a month. To confirm, the low trailhead at approximately 9,500 is plowed? Also, is it best to hike the road (Forest Road 125) that goes to the high trailhead? Or is it better to get on the Colorado trail/South Mt. Elbert Trail that leaves directly from lower trailhead?

Hostilejim

Hostilejim - Nov 10, 2011 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Road to High Trailhead

Thanks for the comment. At least in past years it has been plowed to the low trailhead. I think that it is best to hike along the road from the low trailhead to the high trailhead. It is cleared of trees, so I believe that it is the easiest way to the high trailhead.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'South Mount Elbert Trailhead' main page