South Peak (Red Rock Canyon)

South Peak (Red Rock Canyon)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.00455°N / 115.47126°W
Additional Information County: Clarke
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5885 ft / 1794 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the southern most peak in Red Rock Conservation Area that has a summit register that I'm aware of. This is a great hike for beginners as it is mostly if not all Class 1/2 to the top and a relatively short hike depending on where you are able to park. There are some nice views of Mountain Springs, Highway 160, and Petosi Mountain at the summit.

Getting There

Take Highway 160 (Blue Diamond Road) West of Las Vegas and park at Late Night Trails Parking Lot (On the right as you begin ascending towards Mountain Springs). If you have a high clearance vehicle you will be better off parking as far west as possible. There is a dirt road that runs north/south about a mile west of the Late Night Trails Parking Lot. Beginning here would be ideal, but you can start at the paved parking lot and hike the extra mile.

The Route

Head west towards the canyon landscape away from Late Night Trails. Look just to the left (South) of Hollow Rock Peak and there will be a wash/gully heading west and up the mountains. It will be the most southern canyon/gully of the Red Rock Area although it is hardly a large one and I don't think it has been named. When I went there were few cairns, so unfortunately I had to navigate the desert floor and avoid lots of cacti to get to the gully. There will be lots of class 2 scrambling up the gully with possibly class 3, depdending on how you scramble. There are quite a few trees along the way as well. Scramble up the gully for not quite a mile and you will reach a saddle. If you head right (North) you can head up to Hollow Rock Peak. Instead, head left (South) up toward South Peak. The further right you stay as you head toward the peak, the less steep it is, although it's a little bit out of the way and not quite as direct. It's probably only 1/4 mile from the saddle in the gully to the summit. It will be the first peak that you come to, and there is a register at the top.

When to Climb

Spring and Fall