Viewing: 1-3 of 3
groll

groll - Jul 7, 2010 12:21 am - Hasn't voted

Hood-Old Chute 7/5/10

We summited at 7:30 am on July 5th, 2010. All traffic on the south face went through the Old Chute. The Old Chute was icy yet well defined with kick steps all the way. Started getting soft after 8:00 am. Winds of 30-40 mph on top.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 7, 2010 2:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hood-Old Chute 7/5/10

Thanks much for your input! Really appreciated and I will work it in to the conditions page.

klimbien

klimbien - Jul 19, 2018 9:49 pm - Hasn't voted

July 19, 2018

Put crampons on after the very top lift.
Old Chutes is what is available, pearly is completely melted out and full of loose rock.
No steps were kicked out, but plenty of sun cups to step on.
Early (3 - 6 am) snow is solid and front pointing is easy. Sun popped up at 5:26 ish... by the time I got back to the ski resort slopes were softening up.
Evidence of rock fall, but not nearly as much as what I was expecting to see compared to what the inter web and rangers told me. Right on the climbers trail there were 2 large microwave sized boulders that looked like they had recently come down. But nothing fell or moved while moving through the route.
Left at 2:40 am, summited at 5:38, got to my car at 7:50 am, no glisadding, skiing, snowboarding, just walking. Beautiful mountain.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'South Side Observations Submissions Page' main page