Southeast Spur via Beaver Woman Lake Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Oct 22, 2007 8:17 am - Voted 10/10

Name / First Ascent

If you wanted to be consistent with the name of the route as given by Edwards in A Climbers Guide to Glacier National Park - this would be the Southeast Spur Route.

First ascent Joseph Biby, Doug Mason and Greg Nelson on July 30, 1978.

whiteroom17

whiteroom17 - Oct 22, 2007 11:11 am - Hasn't voted

thanks

thanks for the corrections, i've added them to both the route and mountain pages. I'll go through tonight and do a bit more cross referencing with the climber's guide

EricHansen - Oct 26, 2007 9:47 pm - Hasn't voted

additions

I added a Pinchot Cr. comment (I've done it and it is good) under comments. Eric Hansen

whiteroom17

whiteroom17 - Oct 27, 2007 12:14 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks

thanks for the addition i will add the information in sometime this weekend.

louhibbard - Aug 24, 2019 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Start of 3rd class traverse GPS coordinates

I never did find the start of the traverse across Mount Pinchot's SW and western face on the way up. There were no cairns whatsoever. I forced a way across on a ledge system it turns out higher up - some easy 5th class. I then joined the "trail" about 2/3 of the way across. On the way back I did find the trail - there was the occasional cairn but the last 1/2 mile had no cairns (the start coming up). It is apparently against park policy to have cairns like that and park personnel will knock them down.
The GPS coordinates for the start of the traverse going up are: N48.49149, W 113.60332, elevation 7687 feet. From this point if you face Stimson the trail angles steeply down and left down a gully/chute before leveling off into the sloped scree dicey 3rd class in places "trail" . There will be cliffs below and above you all the way across this traverse.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Southeast Spur via Beaver Woman Lake' main page