Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 48.16950°N / 120.883°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Shot of  Spider Gap


Spyder Gap located in the north central section of the Cascades, is one of the classic backpacking destinations in the Pacific Northwest. If you like looking snowcovered mountains and amazing scenery this a special place to stop by. It proximity to nearby mountains such as Red Mountain, Chiwawa Mountain, Mount Maude, Seven Figered Jack, Dumbell, Fernow and Bonanza make this area a backpacker's or mountaineers destination. It is also close to the popular destinations of Lyman Glacier, Lyman Lakes and the beautiful fields of Spyder Meadows.

Shot of  Spider Gap


Spyder Gap can be reached either from the south by ascending Spyder Glacier (real just a permanant snowfield with no crevassees) in the south. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable approaching Spyder Gap from up the snowfield in the south there is well cairned route up the right side of Spyder Gap. This route begins on the near level Phelps Creek Trail and goes roughly 6 miles up level to gradually ascending terrain to Spyder Meadows. You can make good speed and most people who are in shape can make Spider Meadows in under three hours. Once past Spyder Meadows continue up the trail until you reach a junction go left and take the now steeper trail up left to Larch Knob and then either comtinue either up the permanent snowfield or up the steep trail to the right Spider Gap.

Shot from  Spider Gap


Shot of  Spider Gap

Getting There

FROM THE PHELPS CREEK TRAILHEAD: From Route 2 west of Leavenworth turn north on the first sign to Lake Wenatchee. Go ovr the Wenatachee River Bridge and make a right at the Y intersection. Drive roughly 11/4 miles on county road 22. Turn left on Road number 62 (Chiwawa River Road). Stay on this road 24 miles (dirt road) and veer right on the Phelps Creek road. Take this road all of the way to the end.

Red Tape

Coming from the south a Northwest Forest Pass is required.

Camping

Larch Knob primitive camping area located a mile and 1000 feet south of Spyder Gap is the ultimate camping area. It is perched high on a ledge and offers commanding views south of Spyder Meadows, Seven Fingered Jack and Mount Maude. Obviously a carry in carry out spot, it even has an outdoor toilet located 200 feet above the campsite. Camping here is free.

Also there is Spyder Meadows, a scenic field located below Spyder Gap and has great valley views of the surrounding mountains. There is good camping here but there is a good possiblity that you will be sharing the campsite with horses. Again free.

External Links

Trip Report to Spyder Gap

Weather Conditions

Though a little far away this area will at least give you a more accurate read on temperatures at Spyder Meadows. Keep in mind that Spyder Gap is significantly higher therefore temperature are much more extreme.


alt="Click for Snoqualmie Pass, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.