Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.66500°N / 121.35151°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Lewis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5940 ft / 1811 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Spiral Butte is a volcano cone located just east of White Pass, Washington. It's an easy hike through a beautiful forest. Summit views to the east are very limited due to the tree coverage but looking to the west is quite beautiful. Spiral Butte is the big mountain that you first see just north of Highway 12, looking to the east, as you reach White Pass. It's well worth the effort to make this hike.  

Spiral Butte Views

Getting There

From Interstate 5, head east on Highway 12 passing through Packwood until you reach White Pass (elevation 4,500'). Once you reach the highest point at White Pass, check your odometer and continue east for another 6.2 miles on Route 12. Make a left (north) into the large parking area to access the trail head (3,400'). At the far end of the parking lot, take trail # 1104 up a gradual slope. This trail is used by horses so be prepared for dodging horse manure. In approximately 3 miles the trail splits and you need to go left onto trail # 1142 (marked) and continue the uphill climb. After another mile or so keep a keen eye out for a very faint trail (unmarked) to your left. This is trail #1108 which leads directly to the summit of Spiral Butte. Someone has laid down logs on either side of trail #1108 but it's easy to miss. This trail goes almost straight up as you ascend the mountain. After about a half mile you'll reach the ridge, then it's nice hiking for another mile or so through beautiful forests. The actual summit has no views due to foliage but if you descend about 50' and look west you'll have great views.  

Spiral Butte Views

Red Tape

Northwest Forest Pass is required.

Camping

Dispersed camping is everywhere in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest or if you prefer a campsite, there's Dog Lake Campground on Route 12 just a few miles west of the trail head or at White Pass you could camp at White Pass Campground.

External Links

Add External Links text here.