Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 22, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

A gorgeous day for a trail hike!

Road Out 2 Miles Below Trailhead #654
I love spring. As I drove into Darrington on Saturday afternoon I craned my head out the window, comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts even at 50 mph, to gaze at the snow-covered north face of Whitehorse towering above me. In the grocery store parking lot, as local shoppers strolled about in spring dress, I stuffed a puffy belay jacket and sub-zero rated sleeping bag into my pack - preparations that seemed silly in 70 degree, summer-like weather. Even at 6 pm, at the end of the road - just before the massive slide area that cuts off vehicle access 2 miles before the actual trailhead - the sun was warm, sky clear, breeze light and fragrant...I almost let myself believe that I might avoid snow altogether!

Starry night

Squire Creek Wall
I hit serious snow drifts across the trail as the final bit of light drained from the sky above the high ridge between Three Fingers and Bullon; and as I donned gaiters and headlamp, I kicked myself for opting for light approach shoes rather than real boots. At this point the going got pretty rough. The road grade, though no longer clear or well-traveled, was easy going; once on the trail proper and past the wilderness boundary the way was frequently blocked by downed trees and snow, not to mention the usual hazards: rooty, rocky "steps," numerous creek crossings, puzzling route options, etc. The combination of narrow, meandering trail, snow coverage, and darkness made route finding pretty much impossible, so I decided to make camp. The weather was still very fine, and I enjoyed a very nice snow bank bed and cosmic light show.

Maybe next time

Squire Creek Trail
When I awoke, cradled gently by my snowbank, I saw that I had in fact slept quite late - a rare occurance for me...at least while camping! I made a few more attempts at finding the trail by light of day, and considered just pushing on uphill toward treeline, but in the end I contented myself with a leisurely walk out...followed by an afternoon of sport climbing at Amazonia.

Comments

No comments posted yet.