Star Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - May 17, 2021 10:50 am Date Climbed: May 16, 2021

Northeast Face Ski - 13k Finisher  Sucess!

My final ranked 13k peak in Colorado! Great weather and a great group including a few people from this site. We got to within about 2 miles of the summer trailhead before stopping for snow on the road. Ascended to the ridge and finished on the north ridge, one brief sketch section of loose rock put us on icy snow, crampons needed. Skied off the summit and down the northeast bowl.

cp0915

cp0915 - Jul 15, 2010 10:58 am Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2010

North Ridge  Sucess!

From Taylor Peak with Aron. The route wasn't nearly as awful as we'd been led to believe. The north ridge is class 2 with perhaps one or two class 3 moves. While a huge chosspile, Star Peak is spectacularly beautiful and dominant.

shknbke

shknbke - Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2008

North Ridge  Sucess!

Another choss pile summit in the Elks. Getting to the north ridge saddle was a brutal sidehill struggle on talus. A lingering snowfield helped out for about half of the way up to the saddle. We climbed a class 2 rib to the right that avoided some of the loose stuff. The summit ridge surprised us as it looks pretty mellow from below with a fair amount of exposure and teetering blocks ready to let loose. Just take your time and test your holds. It reminded us of Snowmass, only a bit more exposed and loose. The ridge traverse with Taylor would be a death wish. Don't mess with it!

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Jul 28, 2008 1:23 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2008

With Taylor Peak, twice  Sucess!

7/27/08 - Climbed the North Ridge route after summitting neighboring Taylor Peak. The ridge between the two is gnarly and definately doesn't go - looks like 5th class climbing on absolute junk! A lingering snowfield aided our progress in gaining Star's North Ridge. From there to the summit the rock was very loose and sharp but none of us thought it exceeded 3rd class.

2/14/15 - Winter ascent from Ashcroft in dryish conditions. Climbed Taylor Peak first, then traversed the ridge to the Star/Taylor saddle, dropped south off the ridge and traversed/climbed over to Star's north ridge, and followed it to the summit. Returned to the Star/Taylor saddle and descended north into Cooper Creek. Remembering all that annoying choss from my summer ascent, it was delighful thinking about it all being buried under nice, stable snow.

Kane

Kane - Apr 16, 2006 10:30 pm Date Climbed: Oct 25, 2005

North Ridge

One of my favorite mountains to look at, however, it may have been one of the most dangerous peaks I have ever climbed. Colonelpyat's advice is good. Do this one with snow.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Star Peak' main page