Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.27000°N / 82.756°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3250 ft / 991 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Stony Knob is a minor peak in the Pisgah National Forest that acts basically as a foothill to the 5000 and 6000 foot peaks farther to the northwest. While having no great grandstand to survey the surrounding high country, it offers an opportunity to experience typical cove hardwood forests and the vanishing hemlock forests of this section of the continent. The area has a healthy water table and the mountain serves as headwaters for countless springs and streams that find their ways downslope to join the Davidson River and other cold, clear, free-running tributaries that are a source of great trout fishing.
The great tree cover our...Typical cove hardwood forest.

The Art Loeb Trail passes near to the summit of Stony Knob, from which one can make a fairly short bushwhack to the peak. In winter, when the vigorous hardwood forests are without leaves, one can find some decent vantage points to view both Looking Glass Rock and John Rock, two of the more well known plutons in this area.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Getting There

Take 64W to 276N and into the Pisgah National Forest. Take a left into the Davidson River Campground (administered by the National Forest Service) and see the parking lot for the southern terminus of the Art Loeb Trail. Or park near the Davids River Campground Amphitheater and catch the North Slope Trail (foot and mountain bike).

Red Tape

No fees of any type to use these Pisgah National Forest trails.

When To Climb

[img:146139:aligncenter:medium:Great trail infrastructure.
]
All year. These slopes, even the lower elevations, can get hit with some severe winter weather. Prepare accordingly.

Camping

There is a developed camping at Davidson River Campground. Fees here range from $18 a night for basic tent sites away from the Davidson River, to $24 a night for riverside sites with electric hookup.

There is ample free camping all throughout the national forest, including along all trails and wherever one wishes to bushwhack. If in established wilderness, don't build campfires.

Mountain Conditions

Check the weather reports for Brevard, NC. Subtract a couple of degrees for the 3500 foot peaks.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.