Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.85916°N / 107.64756°W
Additional Information County: San Juan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13487 ft / 4111 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Storm Peak

Storm Peak is my personal favorite. Why? Because this is the view of Storm Peak from our cabin. Storm Peak is located 3 miles (as the crow flies) north of Silverton. Two World Speed Skiing Championships were held here in the eighties, resulting in the naming of the sub peak to the east as Velocity Peak. Velocity Basin (formerly named Colorado Basin) lies at the north base of the peak and offers a beautiful picnic spot on the shores of the small glacial lake that fills occupies this cirque.

Getting There

I've personally climbed many San Juan peaks, but never this one. Hopefully, this summer will result in the addition of this peak to my resume'. I have climbed Tower Mountain numerous times and these two could be climbed during the same day, I believe.

Red Tape

No permits are required, but a Colorado fishing or hiking license is a good idea. An uninsured rescue from anywhere in this area could be quite expensive. Patented mining claims make up a significant percent of the property here so respect signs. I've recently posted my Gladstone area claim because of repeated thefts. Patented claims are PRIVATE PROPERTY unlike mineral claims on government land.

Camping

Camping is available in the Gladstone area on the north side of Storm Peak or near Silverton if you take the longer approach from the south. Again, respect private property signs.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.