Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Choose life, not Adventuras Patagonicas

As a start, I'd like to make it clear that I am an independent climber with no affiliation directly or indirectly to any expedition or climbing company of any sort – and I am providing this first-hand account of a guide’s action toward his client near the summit of Aconcagua, Argentina, so that anyone thinking of doing the climb can be better informed when making decisions about selecting expedition companies and specifically the guides within them.
Mike Bradley is supposedly a ‘professional’ guide working for Adventuras Patagonicas Mountain Guides. 2 weeks ago, on 31 December 2011, Mike, having had his client base reduced from 6 to 3 due to ill health, set off from the final high camp for the summit of Aconcagua – the highest point in the world outside the Himalayas, with his remaining 3 clients. When they reached the bottom of the Canaleta, approximately 2/3rds of the way to the summit, at about 6,700m (22,000ft), one of the clients was not doing too well and had unsure footing and was generally showing symptoms that should have been seen as warning bells. Mike told this client (I’ll call him Craig to protect his identity) that he was no longer fit enough to continue with his summit bid –and went on to tell him that he should wait right there for them while the remaining 2 clients and Mike finish their summit bid. From that point to the summit and back was a 3 hour return journey. Mike expected his client to wait for 3 hours at 6,700m – having already displayed sufficiently concerning symptoms to call off his summit bid.
I was already on my way down from the summit at this stage, but by the time I got to Craig, he was barely conscious, lying flat on his back under a ledge, hooked up to an oxygen cylinder that some other guide had the time and compassion to set-up for him. With the assistance of 3 porters – we frog marched Craig down with ropes support, and at times, where the path allowed, with Craig draped over our shoulders. By the time he got to a doctor, Craig’s blood-oxygen was 30%. Anything below 60% is considered critical and at 30% permanent brain damage could be done. Fortunately, and as far as I am aware, Craig did make a full recovery.
The questions left unanswered by this event are – why was a client, who had paid around $4,500 for a guide and porter support, literally abandoned at an altitude of 6,700m by his guide having shown signs serious enough to terminate his summit bid? What were the circumstances such that his symptoms were not serious enough to be escorted by his guide back down to safety? Why did 3 porters and myself – all completely unrelated to Craig and his expedition have to carry him down while his guide was on the summit.
To all recreational climbers out there considering mountain guides – please make sure you do thorough research into you selection and make sure your guide lays out a full scenario analysis in the event that things go wrong on the mountain.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
skimountaineer

skimountaineer - Oct 8, 2012 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Aventuras Patagonicas and Mike Bradley are impeccably professional

I have climbed for 40 years and have been on several guided climbing trips in and outside of N. America, so I have first-hand knowledge of how different guide services approach the same problems on high mountains. I am also not affiliated with AP or any other guide or adventure company.

I climbed to the summit of Aconcagua with Aventuras Patagonicas in 2010 with Mike Bradley as our lead guide. Mike is a consummate professional and leader. When we had team members who experienced any degree of distress, Mike took all the time needed to assess their condition, understand their capabilities and/or limitations and made the right call - even tough one's involving individuals not reaching their goal of summiting- to ensure the highest possible degree of success for the team while taking care of the individuals. I don't understand the motivation of someone supposedly without an agenda to post something this critical of any individual decision maker on the mountain. I have spoken to Mike about the incident, he spoke to the other guide that set up the oxygen who was on his way down as Mike led the rest of his team to a successful summit, that guide also assessed the individual, and also agreed with Mike that he'd be ok until his team returned from the summit.
I applaud your willingness to get involved and assist a fellow climber in distress. AP has stated in a different forum that their policy is to ensure a guide is with clients in all circumstances...Mike was left with a difficult choice, no supporting guides and made a decision with the team he was with in that airy place...and the client has not complained or sought retribution. AP has an excellent safety record and perhaps the highest success rate on Aconcagua - Mike Bradley has been an integral part of that success. Safety was a discriminating factor in my teams choice of guide companies to take us to the top of the Americas, I would choose AP and go with Mike again in a heartbeat.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1