Success and Failure, As Simple As That

Success and Failure, As Simple As That

Page Type Page Type: Article

Introduction

I was first introduced to climbing when my Dad took me up to climb Wetterhorn Peak in Colorado. The shape of this 14'er almost looks like The Matterhorn. I'd have to say it was a pretty intense first climb for me to be doing with knowing your going to die if you misplace your step. Somehow, I just loved it with all the movement your making and the challenge. The views were also breathtaking! I enjoyed it but not to the point of wanting to climb mountains like Everest and K2.

That was not the very thing that got me loving this sport. In a matter of fact, I didn't even really care about climbing until a late night in July three years ago. Something happened that night that I never knew would change my whole life ahead of me. I had a dream that I was climbing Everest with a couple friends but I died when I fell threw a crevasse. Right then, I woke up and had the inspiration to become the best high altitude mountaineer there is. A very weird start to whatever dream you have I must admit. That was my very starting point in my dream. It gave me a purpose in this life I have. I'm in High School and with my life planned out I could not be any more thankful.

Now, I wake up every morning to what I call my dream room. I have a huge Everest poster that conquers my bedroom wall along with pictures of K2, Makalu, and several other kinds. I picture myself placing every step slowly until I reach the summit and everything I have ever imagined and dreamed of I have just conquered. I know I'll pinch myself to see if it's actually happening. That day will come and it will be very real.

The Problem

There is a problem I have noticed though. It seems as though people give up their dreams too easily. I have just noticed not only in the climbing community but in this world, people have something they want to accomplish and they give it up and go dream hunting to find something else they want to do that is not as hard to accomplish. Don't reject whatever challenge that comes in front of you.

That is what usually divides the successful individuals and non-successful individuals. But there are times when you are forced to give up a dream, though I'm talking about something you want to do that will impact the world or leave a legacy. And you give it up because you face an obstacle so huge you don't think you will pass it. Or you make up excuses why you can't do it because you're afraid.

One of the biggest problems in my opinion is some poeple's hope to tear down your dream. Everyone will face this and my hope is that you won't be tore down from it. I'm not talking about constructive critisizm because this will help you out alot more and make you for the better. People that are negative towards your dream usually have no dream and hope so they take there anger out by tearing you down or they might be jealous and want to tear you down.

The Fix

So what brings success? It's when you keep pushing on no matter what you face and no matter how big of an obstacle you face until you get to the top! And that's the attitude everyone needs to have. My dream is for myself, and it's my personal goal I won't give up. My true goal by the end of this life I have is to leave a legacy! I want to impact the world. I want everyone to know it's not about me. It's about you and going to the top of whatever your dream may be. And it's about leaving the world a better place. A failure is only a person who totally gives up on whatever he wants to do. When you fail, get back up and continue on!

There is also something we all should look at and that is using our common sense. Especially in climbing where your life is in huge risk if you make one small mistake. You have to find the fine line between safety and dreams. I'm not saying chase your dreams and don't stop no matter what because for me that would mean death. Use your common sense but still dont give up on your dream.

Almost every person in America is not "successful." Success in my opinion means accomplishing your dream. It's very sad and I wish I could change that but no one can. People get it in there head that they cant do anything because of past failures. Bypass that obstacle and Just do it!

Just Do It!

Whoever you may be, don't be part of the statistics. Keep your dream alive! Face it-- you're going to face extremely hard things during the whole journey. Ask anyone: Edmund Hillary, Ed Viesturs, Bill Gates, and Michael Jordan. Do you think it was worth it for them? It will be worth it without a doubt.

When Thomas Edison failed about 1,000 times to make the light bulb, he admitted that he found 1,000 ways how not to make a light bulb. Let's all follow this example and attitude. Remember that this game of life follows your mind and you have only one chance to live, so make the most out of it. It all starts with your mind. You put this in your mind and you will find a way to get there. Just do it! And dream on!


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-13 of 13
jimegan

jimegan - Mar 9, 2009 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

good luck!

Oh, to be young again...here's hoping you gain good judgement as you mature. Knowing when to turn back may be the greatest asset you can develop. Have you read Viesturs' book about climbing the 8,000 meter peaks? He notes one climb where he was almost to the summit and, using excellent judgement, turned back where many of us might have continued. Years later, he returned and with great effort completed his quest. That is the kind of savy that you should seek as you pursue your lofty goals.

noahs213

noahs213 - Mar 11, 2009 11:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good luck!

Yes I have. He turned back 300 ft. from the summit of Everest due to time. I do need to follow this. Everyone does who climbs 8,000-meter peaks. The mountain will always be there but I wont. Thanks for your comment! I really do appreciatte it.

imzadi

imzadi - Mar 9, 2009 1:58 pm - Voted 9/10

don't think too hard about it

I agree with the statement "just do it"...if you think too hard about stuff, you can come up with hundreds of ways to talk yourself out of it...excuses if you will.

The key, however, is to find out who you REALLY are...what you REALLY want...and to decide how much you REALLY want it. Once you've found that which you just MUST have...and keep your focus on it (without allowing yourself too much time to think about how hard, how long, how difficult, how unlikely, how unpopular, etc it will be), you will get there. Those who do not suceed either aren't focused on it...or they think too much about it.

noahs213

noahs213 - Mar 11, 2009 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: don't think too hard about it

Well said. I totally agree with you on this one. Just do it and dont think so much about it and it will get done. Thanks for your comment. I wish you the best of luck.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Mar 9, 2009 11:51 pm - Voted 9/10

Be Smart

Grasshopper;
Summits and safe returns come from a combination of mental toughness [which you allude to in this article], physical conditioning, technical ability, a thorough knowledge of the forces of nature, with sound judgment applied to all of the above, these are then mixed with a bit of luck. People who insist on pushing on to the summit without taking into account all of these factors, and other intangibles, will end up relying too much on the luck part, and are often not long for this world.

Read all that you can of the masters, living and passed, and learn from their experience. Summit or plummet is no way to climb and expect to consistently return.

Best Regards;
Tim

ps. If you will correct the grammar and spelling errors, I will vote on your article.:) Let me know.

noahs213

noahs213 - Mar 11, 2009 11:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Be Smart

I have always been pretty weak on English! My bad :) I went over it again. I probably missed something again though. haha Thanks for the advice. It really does help me. I will also keep that in mind.

POLUKO

POLUKO - Mar 21, 2009 11:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Be Smart

Maybe I am interpreting his essay wrong but it never crossed my mind as I was reading it that by dreams he meant summits. In fact, he doesn't even mention mountains or climbing them. Considering it's surroundings it is easy to jump to such conclusions after reading something like this but I think it's written from a wider perspective. Or perhaps I am completely wrong...but that's my .02

noahs213

noahs213 - Mar 22, 2009 8:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Be Smart

I'm not writing this about myself. As I said in this I don't want this to be about me. It's meant for the general crowd and for dreams in general.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Mar 25, 2009 2:58 am - Voted 9/10

Re:Poluko

Well he did mention reaching the top! But I think it is fairly easy to use climbing as a metaphor for life! Especially on a site like Summitpost.
Cheers;
Tim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 27, 2009 9:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Be Smart

Tim, Noah asked for some help editing (did you suggest asking me?), and I helped, so please take another look now.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Mar 27, 2009 11:40 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: Be Smart

I did Bob! I will gladly look again, and thanks for helping!
Cheers;
Tim

GPGRIFF - Mar 23, 2009 7:30 pm - Hasn't voted

FOCUS!

You are right sometimes we get blinded by the day to day.It weakens the spirit.We,ve got to climb through it. Peace.

TheGoat

TheGoat - Mar 28, 2009 7:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Right on...but be careful...

Your article was great, and hit the mark right on...but there is one thing we need to remember. Always follow your dreams, and don't give up on them, but always remember what's more important. It's more important to survive, it's more important to keep your friends, there are some things that will keep you from the top in general. This is why it took me four tries to climb Iron Mountain in the San Gabriels--each time, there was something more important than the summit--but this is also why I returned each time until I succeeded. Good analogy for climbing and life.

PS-there are lots of things more important than grammar and spelling. Don't let it bug you. I vote a 10.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13