Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.73054°N / 118.65898°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Tulare
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 7995 ft / 2437 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sugarloaf is a small rock located in the Sugarloaf Valley of Kings Canyon NP.  It is the only significant uprising in this small valley and therefore offers an interesting view of the surrounding area.

Getting There

The most direct way to reach this rock is to drive to the end of the Big Meadows road and start hiking on the Marvin Pass trail down into Sugarloaf valley where the rock is easily spotted from the trail.

In winter the Big Meadows road is closed and therefore would make a trip to Sugarloaf a lot longer.  In this case, the nearest trailhead would be Lodgepole in Sequoia National Park.

Route

It appears there are many potential technical routes up the rock.  But the easiest (class 3/4)  is up the gulch on on the south side of the rock.  This is an enjoyable scramble up steep rock, through a rock tunnel and some challenging rock maneuvers. A climbing partner is highly recommended.

Red Tape

There is an entrance fee of $20 to get into SEKI NP and wilderness permits are required for overnight travel in the area.  You can attain a permit at the Grants Grove Visitors Center for the Marvin Pass trailhead.

When to Climb

Summer/Fall makes for the easiest approach.

Camping

There is a designated campground at the base of Sugarloaf with a food locker and a meadow for grazing.

External Links

Add External Links text here.