Synanceia verrucosa

Synanceia verrucosa

Stonefish - Kőhal Synanceia verrucosa is a fish species, sometimes lethal to humans, which is known as the reef stonefish or simply stonefish. They are carnivorous ray-finned fish with venomous spines that lives on reef bottoms, camouflaged as a rock. They are the most venomous known fish in the world. Stings extremely painful, occasionally fatal without medical attention. Stonefish have a mottled greenish to mostly brown colour, which aids in its ability to camouflage itself among the rocks of many of the tropical reefs. Bulbous body with vertical mouth, tiny eyes and large pectoral fins. Dorsal spines hidden beneath warty skin. It eats mostly small fish, shrimp and other crustaceans. The average length of most stonefish is about 30-40 centimeters. The largest Stonefish ever recorded was 51 centimeters long. Often partially buried or under rocks, may stay on site for month. Its main habitat is on coral reefs, around dull coloured plants, near and about rocks, or can be found dormant in the mud or sand. Range: Red Sea to Fr. Polynesia, north to S. Japan, south to S. Africa.
yxygan
on May 26, 2011 7:07 am
Image Type(s): Water
Image ID: 718276

Comments

No comments posted yet.