Viewing: 1-18 of 18
bigwally

bigwally - Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am - Voted 10/10

Another Florida Mystery Explained

Oh DTressler,
THANK YOU for sharing Your Dreams & Adventures. Your writing style is Great and Your pictures "take me there".This is one of the Best TR's that I've ever read!! I take it that the long crack, that goes out of the frame and trails down forever is El Cracko Diablo!?!? You look real solid! THANK YOU for sharing. You've Inspired me, and I'm certain that You have motivated a lot of other folks. There is a "Tic-Toc" for each one of us. This Life is Sweet, but it is a "time sensitive" matter. Let us make the Most out of it....Looks like I'll be leaving the snows this winter to go surfing in Costa Rica. Its just the other side of the coin.

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another Florida Mystery Explained

What will that Tower do all Winter, without you "Big Wally"?

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: My Hero

Thanks for your kind words. If you get those kids climbing, it will make some priceless memories for you all.

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: As for flat horizons....

I think you may be right mon ami.

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Oct 20, 2009 12:07 am - Voted 10/10

One Word for you

As a sometimes Floridian have one word for you that most Floridians don't know: California. (nice story)

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One Word for you

I could certainly use a week in Tuolomne Meadows. Thanks.

ktnbs

ktnbs - Oct 21, 2009 9:49 pm - Hasn't voted

I can dig it!

do it now

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I can dig it!

Couldn't agree more. Everything you put off is likely to become one less thing you get to do.

dfrancom

dfrancom - Oct 22, 2009 4:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome

I climbed in the Bugs this summer and Devils Tower. Classic areas with nothing but solid rock and spectacular views, thanks for a great story.

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome

I'll be back to the Bugs, for certain. In fact, I would go there again just to spend a few days at the hut. What I really covet is Pigeon Spire. Looks like a pleasure cruise.

climber555

climber555 - Oct 23, 2009 9:13 am - Voted 10/10

nice report

Glad you had time to come enjoy the Black Hills and Devils Tower. I think I would go insane living so far from any mountains or rocks.

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 23, 2009 7:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice report

You live in close proximity to some of the most beautiful, accessible rock I've ever seen. You are a lucky man, if for no other reason.

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Oct 26, 2009 5:50 am - Voted 10/10

Hold out

You wrote an excellent article, phrasing perfectly the feeling of many of us.

I'm a flatlander, too, living in Hungary, and having the nearest true mountains in 5 hours driving distance in the neighbouring country. Up to now I felt unlucky that I can go for mountaineering trips only 4 times a year (and having the same planning "pains" during 10 months of every year). I see you are in even a bigger "trouble"! But perhaps the passing time can help you, too. You must be near going to retire. Can't you move your home when you will have less constraints about work in Florida?

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 26, 2009 3:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hold out

Thank you for your kind words. Yes we all have our dreams. I do have plans to build in Montana one day, although I doubt I will ever fully retire.

jmc

jmc - Oct 30, 2009 9:07 am - Voted 10/10

very eloquent

your thoughts and words are very powerful. I can relate to counting how many big adventures are left, before I leave climbing behind me. The number is finite, the opportunities are endless, and as you said the clock is ticking.

DTressler

DTressler - Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: very eloquent

I have never heard tell of a man who, in his final days, laments all the trips he took, mountains he climbed or friends he made.

mvs

mvs - Nov 26, 2009 12:08 pm - Voted 10/10

You are so right

Do it now. Go. GO WHILE YOU CAN.

I have embraced this lifestyle, and wondered sometimes if I'm wrong. My friends put their career first, climbing various "ladders" and making more money. But I think my choice is right. You passion and clarity about the time and choices in front of you are energizing.

DTressler

DTressler - Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You are so right

The philosophy you appear to embrace is one in which you value experiences. Work to live rather than living to work. I wish I were better at applying that philosophy, but I am "working" on it.

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Tale Of An Old Florida Climber: Chasing The Clock, Dodging The Snow' main page