Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Dean

Dean - Mar 20, 2007 2:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report

That was a heckofa trip. Congrat's on perservering despite the way you were feeling and making the summit. Of course, the hardest part is often the descent and I fully understand what you meant by wishing you had those snowshoes that were sitting in your car. Thanks for a very enjoyable read.

Peak Freak

Peak Freak - Mar 20, 2007 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great report

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my report, and for your kind comments.

Cheers!
Eileen

eric b

eric b - Jul 2, 2007 6:34 pm - Voted 10/10

I had something like that happen to me

up on a mountain in NH. It had nothing to do with the altitude though(obviously) I had gotten stung by three bees and while I'm not allergic I still felt like death. The funny thing about climbing mountians and overcoming adversity is it makes for good storytelling. Nice Job.

Peak Freak

Peak Freak - Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I had something like that happen to me

Hey, Eric!

Thanks for your comment. Sorry I seemed to have dropped off the face of the planet. We should catch up sometime.

E

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jul 19, 2007 11:57 am - Voted 10/10

Very well written report

Informative and entertaining. A couple of points came to mind after reading it.

1. The nausea. It happens to me every time on any mountain regardless of altitude when an alpine start is involved. Nerves maybe? Or too little or too much at an unaccustomed time for breakfast. I've experimented with my menu but get sick anyway. Something to live with I suppose.

2. The summit plateau. Contrary to your report, there ARE crevasses on the plateau. When we were up there we followed footprints from the top of the Roman Wall right to a large freshly opened slot. One set of prints disappeared in there and the rest got lost in all the (extraction) activity that followed. It was unexpected and sobering. As it was clearly was for the victim.

Great job - both on the report and in overcoming the difficulties. Great choice of partners, great decisions to stop and eat and particularly to camp when you did.

Cheers,

Martin

Peak Freak

Peak Freak - Jul 20, 2007 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very well written report

Thanks, Marin!

Appreciate the comments. As for crevasses, conditions do change greatly on Baker from month to month, as well as from year to year. Of all the times I've been there, late May/early June 2002 were the best conditions overall on every section of the route. It's a calculated risk, but the plateau was pretty bomber that day.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Tales of Mount Baker' main page