Thaba Ntlenyana

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Thabana Ntlenyana 3451m Grade A (highest point in southern Africa)
Thisis the highest mountain in southern Africa and lies 3.5kms inside the Kingdom of Lesotho. Like Mafadi the highest peak in South Africa, this too is an insignificant, flat-topped mountain that just peeps up above its neighbours.

Here we describe a circular route of 2 days and one night. Note: The first day can be done from Sani Top to the peak and back
to Sani Top in a day, however, it is a long journey of almost 25kms in high rugged terrain. It is essential that you carry (and are able to read) Ezemvelo map 5 ‘Cobham’ to find your way. It is sometimes possible to get a local ‘guide’ from the Sani Top area to show the way.

Route Description

Starting from Sani Top, hike north for 500m and get to the Sani River running into Lesotho. A path then starts and runs with the river for 1.5kms then moves away up the slope and runs parallel for 2kms before turning north to the Mangaung valley. The route then crosses the river by the same name and goes over a large broad ridge to the Sehonghong River. On the far side it finally climbs up between two spot heights then a broad ridge to the summit. The path from Sani Top is sometimes a multi track route made by shepherds and their stock. In other areas it is not well defined and good map reading is needed. After reaching the summit, it is recommended to turn southeast, back along the broad ridge, passing spot height 3465 and until the escarpment edge 4kms away at the peak called Mohlesi and Nhlangeni Pass and then to camp anywhere in this region. The following day there is no marked route, but simply stay close the escarpment edge, passing the top of ka-Ntuba Pass and then heading for the col between Tsatsa-La-Mangaung and Mqatsheni. From this col, at 3178m, head straight down the slope to Sani Top.

External Links

http://peakhigh.co.za/