The beater bike, last ride of  2011 to View Benchmark.

The beater bike, last ride of 2011 to View Benchmark.

This photo was taken 11-11-11 at the summit of View Benchmark, Lone Peak distant. A cold, snowy and muddy route was encountered to reach the summit from Orson Smith Trail Head in Draper. In the photo is my older beater Specialized Hardrock, dedicated for the cold and mud seen. This ride likely marks the last of the 2011 season, from the Orson Smith Trailhead in Draper, up Corner Canyon Road to Suncrest, then up the route on dirt double track Dean mentions in the View Benchmark page. This route has proven to be one of my favorite runs, 2,000 cumulative feet of elevation gain, 6.5 miles one way. This November 11th photo marks ride #49 from Orson to the top of View for the 2011 season.
Wasatch Summits
on Nov 24, 2011 12:20 am
Image ID: 761771

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dean

Dean - Nov 24, 2011 12:33 am - Voted 10/10

Neat local resource

To me View BM is a relatively unknown local gem but you have certainly found it to be a great bike workout. Hope to meet you up there someday. I hike it almost every week and sometimes more often since it is close to my home in Lehi. Thanks for sharing your pic and experience.

Wasatch Summits

Wasatch Summits - Nov 24, 2011 10:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Neat local resource

Thanks Dean, I really love that summit up there! Fact is you and I share View Benchmark online now, yours here on SP, and mine over on MBpost.com. I've got the page geared more for the mountain bike there, some photos, and ascent and descent video. The downhill videos show pretty much the entire route, sans the paved section through Suncrest. Here is a link to that page:

View Benchmark, MBpost.com

Dean

Dean - Nov 24, 2011 1:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Neat local resource

We can be View BM buddies. I hiked it this morning for a good way to start Thanksgiving day. Felt good to get out. I like your mb videos, they were my inspiration for my morning hike. : )

Wasatch Summits

Wasatch Summits - Nov 25, 2011 11:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Neat local resource

Cool you got up there Dean! I need to get back up myself. Those videos have been fun to watch here during these long nights, sort of gives more ambition to get out tomorrow. I'm hoping to do that bike run a bunch next summer as well.

I ended up wrenching for most of Thanksgiving morning on the bike in this photo. Trying to get it dialed in like my other two bikes I use during the summer season, a Giant Trance X full suspension bike, and a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail. The one is this pic has been dedicated for winter use mainly, though after all the summer riding on the other two, which are dialed in almost the same from a geometrical perspective, this one needs work. I ended up wrenching on it in the morning then riding about 20 miles around Draper and Sandy in anticipation of all the fat calorie laden dinner which was waiting later, lol.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4