"The Boulder Beach" Slick Rock Recreation Area

"The Boulder Beach" Slick Rock Recreation Area

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.41150°N / 118.93818°W
Additional Information County: Tulare
Activities Activities: Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 750 ft / 229 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Slick Rock Recreation Area, known by climbers as "The Boulder Beach," is a boulder field located on the south bank of Kaweah River at the mouth of Lake Kaweah. The area has been developed over the years by natives, locals and visitors. While enjoying the rock keep your eyes peeled for the bedrock mortars left by the real firsts on these rocks. The rock is nice clean sharp granite. There are ample possiblities for problems all over the place. Across the river on the other shore, which can only be reached by a boat or a swim exceptions being when the water is very low, there are more boulders and some topropes. This area is located in a state recreation area and access is not an issue.

During spring runoff the river swells and the lake is filled. Some of the boulders become submerged, this could last as long as August. Once water is let out during late summer the rocks come back again. A small tarp is a good idea as the ground can be a bit moist in some spots near the river.
The Boulder Beach

Getting There

From Hwy. 99 take Hwy. 198 East towards Sequoia National Park. After approx 30 miles you begin to head uphill towards Terminus Dam, you are now at Kaweah Lake. Follow the Hwy. around the lake until you see the Slick Rock Recreation area parking lot, approx. 4 miles. The boulders are located along the lakeshore below this parking area.

Red Tape

Slick Rock Recreation area is open until nightfall after which you must vamos prontos. It is also a popular swimming hole during the spicier part of summer, 100 plus temperatures, so be aware that you may have spectators on the warmer days.

Camping

Horse Creek Campground
(559) 597-2301
P.O. Box 346, Lemoncove
(No reservations accepted.)
Operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.)
Horse Creek is a year-round campground located at Lake Kaweah along Highway 198 and offers 100 units, with no hook-ups and 2 restrooms with hot showers (April-September only)-

Various Lodgings in Three Rivers are available (Kaweah lake is the western boundary of Three Rivers).

House boats are available for rental from the Kaweah Lake Marina. I've often thought this would be fun as there are various rocks located around the lakeshore which are only accessable by boat or a tediously long foot approach.

Eats

UPHILL EATS: There are several good places to eat in Three Rivers. A lively time can be had by all up at the Riverview, a few miles up on the left. Decent grub good beer and the finest view of the Kaweah River of all eating establishments in Three Rivers. Another must chow is the Reimers Candy factory and Ice Cream shop. This place will satisfy anyone who appreciates the sweeter side of life, or happens to have some kiddies around. In addition to these two fine establishments comes a plethora of viddle options from pizza to pasta, and all very local.

DOWNHILL EATS: If you're hungry and heading downhill check out Exeter. Here you'll find several food options ranging from the Frosty King burger stand to Mexican Food at Vallarta's, killer sandwiches, beer/wine and espresso drinks at Wildflowers Cafe as well as many other nearby options. To get there take the Exeter turnoff and head South towards town. Pass the railroad tracks and make a right onto Pine Street. Follow the street for a couple blocks untill you see the park and fountain. Find parking and head over to the cafe

Current Conditions



Three Rivers Webcam


Current Kaweah Commonwealth Webcam Image

Links

Local newspaper which has some good information
Kaweah Commonwealth

Get Involved:
SSCA Southern Sierra Climbers Association

Real time view from Three Rivers upstream towards Alta Peak.
Three Rivers Webcam

In respect...

to those who have gone before. The names of problems and rocks used on this page are new and unofficial. They are just used as a way for the current climbers to refer to rocks. If you know the true first ascent name of any problem or the name of any boulder listed please post them. Thanks and happy sending.