The Comox Glacier Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
walkingtrashcan

walkingtrashcan - Sep 26, 2012 3:38 am - Voted 10/10

I suggest revising the Mirren Lake route

I recently attempted to hike to Mirren Lake following your directions. This, combined with ignoring my map, led me up Rees Creek and eventually up to Duncan Lake through endless Devil's club. Although it wasn't a total loss (since now I know a potential route to Memory Lake) I suggest revising your directions to Mirren.

Firstly, The road formerly known as "CK 75" is now marked as West Main. The old CK 75 sign has multiple shotgun wounds. The West Main sign is easier to spot.

Second. The sentence "Follow the main line as high as you can drive always choosing the branch heading higher when faced with a choice." was what led me up Rees creek. 3.6km from the start of West Main (formerly CK 75) the road forks. Going "higher" takes you up Rees creek. Bearing left will take you up Kweishun Creek (the correct way). A few Km later you will skirt around a meadow. There are several stones and logs scattered on the road along with a large cross-ditch which requires a good 4x4 and driving skills. The rest of the drive is fairly easy in comparison.

Lastly, there is also a route up the right side of the first waterfall. Where you would normally cross the creek and head up the left side, you instead, scramble up the slab on the right. While it is more technical and potentially dangerous, it is faster and easier in the long run.

lettingtonm - Sep 21, 2016 1:47 am - Hasn't voted

Frog Ponds Route in a day

This past August me and 3 friends hiked the Frog Ponds Route to the Comox Glacier. I've read many trip reports, most people take two or three days to do this route but we gave it a shot as a day hike!

We had ideal conditions and perfect weather. here is my trip report: http://explorington.com/2016/09/comox-glacier-day-hike/

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 21, 2016 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Frog Ponds Route in a day

I agree Matthew. With no foreknowledge of times we carried a camp up to Frog Ponds and were there for lunch. Spent the afternoon there hiding from the bugs since we didn't know how far it was to the summit. In fact we were there and back again for lunch the next day and back down at the TH by 4-ish. With light packs and an early start it's a very do-able day trip.

Of course Frog Pond is a great place to camp and enjoy IF the bugs are reasonable.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'The Comox Glacier' main page