The events on the summit of...

The events on the summit of...

The events on the summit of the Tower on August 6, 2004: (L) Shirley approaching the summit marker after our climb of Durrance, (C) Shirley retreating quickly following the discovery of a nest of flying thingees at the summit marker, (R) yours truly trying to fight it out with the flying thingees near the summit marker - battle was soon lost and we retreated w/o signing the register.
rpc
on Aug 9, 2004 11:55 am
Image ID: 63887

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Aug 9, 2004 12:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Ah, so this............

is where you were this past week. Nice. How did you like the climb? What did you think of the 5.6 rating?

rpc

rpc - Aug 9, 2004 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ah, so this............

Hey Brian,



yeah, spent about 1.5 days there (wish we had more there). The 5.6 rating seemed a bit low for that 2nd pitch but then again it might be the Wyoming thing - some ratings in the Cirque of Towers seemed a little sandbagged as well.



Will now need to take a virtual tour of your Iceland climbs :)

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Aug 9, 2004 1:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ah, so this............

How was the Cirque trip? What did you climb?

rpc

rpc - Aug 9, 2004 1:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ah, so this............

Hey Alan,



First of all much thanks for all the beta - we used your driving directions exclusively and they were dead-on. Did NE Face Left Side of Warbonnet (great adventure climb) and E. Ridge of Wolfshead....that's about it. The weather was pretty unstable (maybe it's the norm there) but we kept getting hosed pretty hard every day. Basically it was climb 1 day and get soaked, dry ropes and junk the next day. Got tired of it after 5 days and drove out to Devils tower for some dry sunny weather. Will go back next year to do more stuff in the Cirque.

radek

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Aug 9, 2004 4:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ah, so this............

I can't wait to see your Warbonnet page!

Dragger

Dragger - Aug 9, 2004 1:16 pm - Voted 10/10

What the heck were the...

...flying thingies? Wasps? Bees? Worse? Great set of photos, by the way. Thanks for sharing.

rpc

rpc - Aug 9, 2004 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What the heck were the...

Thank you very much for stopping by!

Not sure??!! They looked like "ants with wings" but were pretty harmless (no painful bites) - just annoying getting into your eyes, ears, and nose.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Aug 9, 2004 5:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What the heck were the...

Sorry to say but somehow I'm happy that I'm not the only one to be harrassed by flying thingees. I had a terrible day on Pico Ruivo / Madeira when gazillions of green bugs decided they would like to swarm that day. Getting into ears, noses moths is one thing - but spraying some weird smelling, sexual attracting (for their females) eau de .... into the air, was more than anyone could take!



And the hike was sooooo beautiful before the flying thingees came.

Pico Ruivo photo_id=70894

Viewing: 1-8 of 8