OlympicMtnBoyGreat page

OlympicMtnBoy

I like your page. The mountain is in an incredible area with stunning scenery. Only one suggestion. Change your display image of the mountain so it's not the same as the bigger shot at the start of your page:) Hope to see more of those cool Island peaks soon!:)
Posted Sep 10, 2007 8:35 pm

vancouver islanderTook your suggestion

vancouver islander

Think it's better?
Posted Sep 12, 2007 2:42 pm

OlympicMtnBoyRe: Took your suggestion

OlympicMtnBoy

Yes, I do:) And that's just the thought I was thinking of!
Posted Sep 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Brian JenkinsWow

Brian Jenkins

Now this is what a mountain page should look like. Impressive.
Posted Sep 10, 2007 11:48 pm

vancouver islanderRe: Wow

vancouver islander

Brian - what can I say - from a master of the art no less. Many thanks
Posted Sep 11, 2007 12:58 am

NanulsGreat job

Nanuls

A Great job as usual, congrats!
Posted Sep 11, 2007 4:14 am

vancouver islanderRe: Great job

vancouver islander

Thanks Dan.

If you're following the current thread in the forum on "featured pages" the Hinde offers an interesting comment. The mountain page apparently offers 20 times more of interest to readers of SP than the associated TR. A sound argument for putting featured mountain pages in the main body of the home page than TR's, as currently.
Posted Sep 11, 2007 12:00 pm

NanulsRe: Great job

Nanuls

I was following it, even voiced my own thoughts on the matter. I reckon its a great idea and I hope I can get some of my own pages on there at some point.

This one certainly deserves to be up there.

Cheers
Dan
Posted Sep 11, 2007 2:34 pm

nikolai79Pirate galeon

nikolai79

If I´m not wrong, this peak has the same name of galeon of the famous corsair Sir William Drake. Nowadays there is a ship near the Thames in London you can visit that reproduces the aspect o this ship.

By the way, nice page!
Posted Sep 12, 2007 9:21 am

vancouver islanderI kind of knew that

vancouver islander

Thanks for reading the report Nikolai and for your kind words.

However, I do know all about the nomenclature involved in this case. It's no co-incidence that Drake's ship had the same name. If you re-check the 5th paragraph of the first "Overview and History" section, you'll read:

"The mountain was initially known as the “Rooster’s Comb” as a result of its silhouette from the northeast or southwest. By 1939 it was well recognized that the mountain was the highest on the Island and a Captain R.P. Bishop decided that it should enjoy a grander title rather than one with barnyard connotations. He suggested the Golden Hinde after concluding that Sir Francis Drake had seen Vancouver Island during his voyage of 1579 from his flagship of the same name. Stewart agreed and together they convinced the Geographic Board of BC to accept the new official name".
Posted Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

fossanaExcellent page

fossana

Lovely pics and layout. Almost makes me want to return to the PacNW.
Posted Sep 13, 2007 1:14 am