The north ridge of Granite...

The north ridge of Granite...

The north ridge of Granite Mountain comprises the backdrop to this view from near the outlet of lower Robin Lake.
Bob Bolton
on Mar 25, 2002 9:43 pm
Image ID: 5900

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Kane

Kane - Mar 26, 2002 9:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Perfect photograph.

For the life of me, I can't imagine what the person who gave you a 3 star vote was actually looking for in a photograph. This picture is really good!

JScoles

JScoles - Mar 27, 2002 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

Yes it is a great image.

But I find it a bit cluttered and not as good as some of the other pictures in the series.

Nelson

Nelson - Mar 27, 2002 5:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

Yes, I'd have to agree. A decent shot, but cluttered.



My eye wanders around searching for a place to rest, but doesn't find one.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Mar 27, 2002 10:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

People talk about wandering eyes and such when discussing art. There is apparently some sort of theory on that issue. I've never understood the theory, possibly because my eye doesn't seem to want to rest. Instead it wants to explore, to see the details, to feed pleasure sensations into my brain from color and shape and texture, etc. I think I may even actually prefer a photo that doesn't provide a place for my eye to rest. :-)

Kane

Kane - Mar 26, 2002 9:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Perfect photograph.

For the life of me, I can't imagine what the person who gave you a 3 star vote was actually looking for in a photograph. This picture is really good!

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Mar 26, 2002 9:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

Well, I must admit that I don't understand it either. There seem to be some here who try to rain on others' parades, but that's apparently the norm on the Internet. Regardless, thanks for the comment - it's one of my own personal favorites. :-)

mpbro

mpbro - Mar 27, 2002 10:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

uh-oh...I'm the a-hole who gave it 3 stars. Wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade...here are my justifications.



I think it's a very nice photograph, but one of those unfortunate cases where the internet downsize really hurts the image. 1) One of the most interesting parts of the photo is the canyon on the other side of the ridge just in front of the lake. I can barely make it out on the small version, but when I do, it really draws the eye...you think, "wow, what's down there? Where's the bottom?" Unfortunately, minute variations in contrast are one of the first casualties of display at low resolution/reduced colors. 2) My first impression when I saw it was: too busy. The small distances between trees confused my eye. Of course, at larger size, this problem goes away.



So there, I get to play armchair photo critic for a day. ;) Maybe I judge Bob's photos by higher standards. Usually this translates to only 9 of 10 pictures at 4 stars. ;)



Got a link to the full-size copy???

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Mar 27, 2002 10:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

So that was you Morgan! Interesting analysis. But I must say that I don't think the larger size will help if busy is the problem. The trees are still close together also - I went around and arranged them in clumps thinking you'd like 'em better that way, but that obviously didn't work!! ;-) But if you want to try out larger versions, this one is 2940x1880 pixels (1.27MB), and this one is 1024x655 (326.5KB).



I don't know from photo critiquing, so I don't take a photo with an artistic statement in mind. My objective for carrying the camera is to bring the scenes home with me so I can enjoy them all year long and when I get old. That is the criterion by which I judge this photo. Does it look as close as possible to being there? Because I truly enjoy that scene while I am there, then the photo is "good" if it helps me remember and emphasizes what I enjoyed about the scene. So here's why I like it: (1) the reflection - I love reflections, the more detail (the busier) the better. (2) the colors, both of the original objects and of their reflections, (3) the stuff on the bottom being visible part way out into the lake, some of it mixed with reflections of the backdrop (4) the textures of the surface near the island, (5) something you guys can't experience, the memories conjured by the scene. For me this photo is far more an emotional experience than an objective one. If someone else sees enough like I do to also enjoy it, then I'm happy. :-)

mpbro

mpbro - Mar 28, 2002 9:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

The 1024x655 version looks great on my screen. Just enough extra size to figure out what's going on...



So you're one of those reflection guys, eh? ;) I've never been a reflection guy...maybe that's because I never capture any good ones.



Here are some of my recent favorites of yours



Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Mar 29, 2002 8:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

Interesting selections Morgan. It's fascinating to me how differently people see and appreciate visual stimuli. One thing in common with all these photos is that all but one have a downward view, and all have a mountain beyond closer terrain. The closer terrain is interesting I think, but the mountain sorta puts the foreground into perspective. Even the one without the downward view almost feels the same as the others. I think mountaineers must enjoy the view from high up, and maybe that says something about our taste in photos???

gordonye

gordonye - Apr 1, 2002 5:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

I think the photo's imperfection is not due to the photographer. The ridge in the background is pretty flat so does not have a flattering skyline. It's hard to generate interesting visual variations in this locale.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Apr 1, 2002 6:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect photograph.

I guess if the only thing that makes a picture "perfect" is a flattering skyline, you're analysis is certainly correct. I like mountain pictures with the best of 'em, but my taste in photos doesn't begin and end with a flattering skyline. This photo was certainly not taken with that in mind! :-)

Viewing: 1-12 of 12