The not so significant but...

The not so significant but...

The not so significant but horribly steep south wall of the Zuckerhütl as seen end of August 2004 from the Sonklarspitze. Right: Zuckerhütl, Left: Pfaffenschneide. The normal route to the Zuckerhütl goes along the east ridge which is seen on the very right of the picture.
JoPo
on Sep 6, 2004 6:10 am
Image ID: 68247

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Sep 6, 2004 12:14 pm - Voted 8/10

Also over rocks?

But one possibility is also to climb Zuckerhuetl over rocks, to avoid snow or icy ridge. From here it looks really steep.

JoPo

JoPo - Sep 6, 2004 12:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Also over rocks?

Thank you for your comment.

In fact, as the snow cap is melting on this mountain, you have to climb the upper third of the last ascent. This scrambling goes through the side one sees here. Where one leaves the snow slope depends on snow conditions (icy or not), and on how much snow is left (early or late in the year). Though this year there is more snow than in other years, I heard that you have to leave the snow very early (possibly due to the heavy losses from 2003). When I climbed the Zuckerhütl in 2001 it was very foggy which was better for some of my co-climbers. I am not sure whether they would have dared to climb this with a better view :-)

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Sep 6, 2004 3:54 pm - Voted 8/10

Re: Also over rocks?

Yes, a few years ago we simply went by the snow ridge and had no problems at all. Didn't even seem too steep to me. So I was a bit surprised, when, yes it was somewhere on 1/3 of the summit ascent, I saw marks, leading left, into the south face.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3