The Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 27, 2013 11:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

I should be thanking you for your email about Pignut. Mentioning The Peak in it made me look up my page, and that was how I discovered that I must have deleted it mistakenly and never noticed. So I put a new page together last night. If you've been that way recently and know of any changes to trailhead or access information, please let me know.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Nov 27, 2013 4:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Trailhead Info

These directions worked for me in June 2010:

66 W to Linden, 55 W, 522 S, R (W) on 630/Hittles Mill, L (S) on 628/Dearing, straight (W) onto 629 (2.8 miles from 522), 1 mile to fork, go right, 0.8 miles to gate #320. As I recall, you do begin the hike by walking past a private residence, but very soon you are on the Jordan River Trail. My notes say I got to Thoroughfare Gap in 27 minutes from the gate with #320 on it. I have climbed The Peak this way twice.

More recently, I climbed The Peak as part of a big loop. I started at Gravel Springs Gap, took the AT north and passed over South and North Marshall on my way to Jenkins Gap, then took the Mt. Marshall Trail to Thoroughfare Gap. I climbed The Peak, returned to Thoroughfare Gap, then took the Bluff Trail back to Gravel Springs Gap.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 2, 2013 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Trailhead Info

Thanks! I will incorporate this information into the page.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 27, 2013 9:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Yep...

my votes are still there for the photos.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Nov 29, 2013 5:28 pm - Voted 10/10

A lot to like

One of the things I like about The Peak is that there is an elevation gain of 1,000 feet in about 0.8 miles. At some points, you're going up at least one foot for every three feet you go forward.

As of early 2008, the old topo map was still mostly accurate. The old trail forms a loop, and cairns marked the point where the shorter, steeper route diverged from the longer, more gradual route. During the winter, it was still relatively easy to find and stay on the trail.

Thanks for re-doing this page!

hightinerary

hightinerary - Dec 2, 2013 3:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: A lot to like

On my winter ascent of The Peak there were a few inches of snow on the ground and I made no attempt to find a trail - I just stayed more or less in the middle of the ridge all the way to the top. The next time (June), I noticed that, after starting near the post, the old trail seems to be in the middle or more toward the north side of the ridge for a while, but then it swings to the right and curves around the south side of the mountain until it's slightly below and east of the summit. Following that trail makes for an easier ascent, but for descending I still just stay in the middle of the ridge.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'The Peak' main page