Viewing: 1-14 of 14
CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Aug 29, 2010 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: If your profile....

Indeed, 17 years young

EricChu

EricChu - Sep 4, 2010 4:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: If your profile....

Well said, FortMental! This is interesting indeed...!

holly sorenson

holly sorenson - Sep 4, 2010 7:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: If your profile....

You said it 'FortMental'. It is the way of our entire governmental system. Sit in front of the T.V. eat McDonalds, and drink Bud light. Ugg!

mvs

mvs - Aug 30, 2010 11:32 am - Voted 10/10

Scott Silver

Good article. Scott Silver and his Wild Wilderness organization have been advancing this theory for a decade now. Go there for some hilarious (and sad) political cartoons illustrating the problem. I hope things don't go further down this road.

EricChu

EricChu - Sep 4, 2010 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

I don't see any reason...

...not to give this really well-written article a 10/10 vote. I'm giving mine, in any case!
Good work!
Cheers,
Eric

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 4, 2010 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I don't see any reason...

Thanks, Mountain Jim is just mad because the trails declined under his watch as county commissioner, and i dont know what the other guy has to say

however your vote bumped up the score by 20%, so I thank you

Downy

Downy - Sep 6, 2010 9:35 am - Hasn't voted

W

I disagree with your well written article on many levels.
I find the RMNP to be quite nice from the car window.
And I don't care if some trails are bad, that's good for me.

EPineJr - Sep 17, 2010 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Interesting acticle

My response is more of a ramble from someone who lives 87 ft above sea level, and finds the variety of Rocky Mountain National Park to be truly amazing.

I just spent 6 days in RMNP and I find the level of development to be nearly perfect. Americans in wheelchairs can scoot around Bear Lake or up to the Toll Memorial. The views from the Alpine Visitor's Center are amazing, even if just an easy walk from the parking lot. As a matter of fact most of the people I saw at those places would have a pretty rough time going more than a 1/8 mile from the trailhead. It's their park, too. Let them walk around Bear Lake and say they experienced Rocky Mountain National Park. As far a a view from the car window - Trail Ridge road is unmatched. The drive blows me away. I don't mind being stuck in a two mile long elk jam because of the spectacular views.

My experience was a little more involved. Hikes up Glacier Gorge, to Chasm Lake, and boulder hopping up to Andrews Tarn. Hiked up Hallet Peak, and the CCY traverse. Perfect hiking. Still much more to see. I stayed in Estes, got my Starbucks, and drove into the park every day by 7AM. Great hiking and sleeping in my nice warm house at night.

I would disagree on the amount of current trails vs those that were in the past. Compare the ubiquitous NatGeo map of the park to the USGS topos last updated over 2 decades ago. Many more trails today.

Navigating in the park with a topo map is pretty staightforward, even without GPS or a compass. Much of the park is alpine tundra with line of sight to the summits. I find it easier to navigate in RMNP than GSMNP. Unless you are near a knob, or in a patch of dead trees you really can't navigate by sight. No observation towers are needed on most of the RMNP summits.

All Hail Rocky Mountain National Park! Something for everyone!

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 18, 2010 1:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting acticle

indeed, but the USGS maps show probably 50 miles of trails that the NatGeo have, in fact, those trails hardly even exist anymore

JoshFM

JoshFM - Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm - Voted 7/10

Some good points...

...but there are two grammar errors in the first sentence alone--could be a turn-off for taking the rest of the piece seriously. But I do find it informative, although I don't agree that more miles of maintained trails are needed in RMNP. Given the seriously handicapped state of the National Park Service, I think they do a great job of putting their resources where they will be most utilized. If you want more/better trails, get in touch with NPS and organize a volunteer crew. Sounds like you're on your way to doing something like that. Also, many USGS maps are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to trails, but they work wonders when combined with a compass. Thank you for your concern about our wonderful public lands.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Touche'd

i beleive they would be 'grammatical' errors
Gotta watch those adverbs or someone might not take you seriously

JoshFM

JoshFM - Sep 23, 2010 12:40 pm - Voted 7/10

Re: Touche'd

You can "beleive" whatever you want, but that doesn't make you right. It does, however, reveal your poor spelling. It is not incorrect to say "grammar errors." Look it up, and then address the real issues in the discussion of your post.

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 23, 2010 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Touche'd

Thanks for being my english consultant, but until you contibute something useful to this site don't council people on 'being taken seriously'

Handicapped state of the NPS? Next time you drive through the entrance stations at RMNP you'll notice how financially debilitated they are.

And Im not necessarily asking for more maintained trails, I just want them to maintain the trails that show up on the maps they hand out to millions of tourists each year

wetterhorn76

wetterhorn76 - Oct 2, 2010 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Hail RMNP

I consider it my 2nd home and here's my celebration of the park from this past Monday;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcp66GPqhMI

Or December
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVBAHFKoKuQ

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'The RMNP trail philosophy and a little insight into the future' main page