The summit of Central Lyavochorr, Khibiny Mtns

The summit of Central Lyavochorr, Khibiny Mtns

Our November 1983 trip was a pilgrimage to the site of an avalanche disaster which killed a group of our friends the previous winter. Looking back, I gotta wonder what were our own chances of joining them up in Heaven. The disaster site was at a far NE edge of Khibiny mountains, and with the short Artcic days and fickle Kola Peninsula weather, we were desperately running out of time. So we left most of the gear at a Lake Paykun-Yarv hut, and went light on a 40-hour stamina-and-adrenaline race, a good portion of it in the fog, in freezing rain, or in the dark. But this slide captures a rare few minutes of great visibility, near the trangulation tower atop Central Lyavochorr Plateau.
Dmitry Pruss
on Oct 17, 2007 5:34 pm
Image Type(s): Skiing
Image ID: 348569

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 18, 2007 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ended well

Better than well!

That trip cured my sore depression (first months on a %^&$%$ job plus a girl of supposedly my dream dumped me ... you know it doesn't take much to make a young looser miserable :) ).

And it propelled me into the ambitious series of Arctic and Siberian expeditions. For, when I first skied the tundra, I found it abhorrent, and I didn't look forward to returning to the North again. The 1983 trip was a true eye-opener!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 20, 2008 3:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: !

Thanks :) Just yesterday I chatted with the guy who lead that trip. He's busy organizing a 400-miler ski traverse of Mt St Elias ranges. I mention it just in case if someone thought that I am a tad crazy. Compared to some old pals, I'm just a regular totally boring fart!

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 27, 2008 5:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Love

with the North you fell in as you realized true Love never runs away when you come and see Her? Anyway, you were lucky to find the right cure soon enough - LOL I wasn't, just one year back!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 27, 2008 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Love

Enchantment forever, that's so true! But, it's hard for people with real city jobs to give in to this passion.

At least I have miles and miles of high-altitude tundra valleys just a short distance away ... if I can't get the real thing :)

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 28, 2008 4:01 am - Voted 10/10

Real thing

I know you don't usually get much vacation in America, but Yukon/Alaska is not that far away:-)

Viewing: 1-5 of 5