The traverse at the summit...

The traverse at the summit...

The traverse at the summit block where more than one person has lost their life on the steep, friable rock. (photo credit to Robert Speik at www.traditionalmountaineering.org)
Brian Jenkins
on Oct 12, 2001 6:21 pm
Image ID: 2416

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rpc

rpc - Feb 22, 2002 4:47 pm - Hasn't voted

climbing N. Sister

Brian,

were you able to make the summit on your N. Sister trip? What time of the year did you go - heard opinions that this is a good 'early' season (I'm guessing spring) mountain while the snow keeps the rocks well 'glued' in place. We were thinking of making an attempt sometime this year but are not sure yet. thanks.

radek

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Feb 22, 2002 5:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: climbing N. Sister

Nope, I did not make the summit. In fact, I did not make it past the beginning of the ridge just off the glacier from the col. My climbing partner's knee went out and I decided to play it safe and not continue on alone. He went back to camp and I ran over and soloed Middle Sister. I could see the North Sister route easily enough so I felt ok about putting up the route on the page. I also have talked to others about the route to get additional beta.



I have also heard that an early season climb can be fun as the snow locks the rock down a little more. When I was there (mid-September 2001) there was the sound of almost constant rockfall off the western side. I'm heading back at the same time later this year (my buddy has been rehabbing his knee). Let me know how it goes if you go early season. I have heard of at least one death from someone falling while soloing the north ridge in winter so be careful.



The book "Oregon High" has more info than Smoot's "Climbing the Cascade Volcanoes" as far as route info goes.



Have fun if/when you go and let me know how it goes.



-Brian

Viewing: 1-2 of 2