The View North

The View North

The sweeping view north from Grassy Ridge Bald. To the right you can see the jagged edge of Grandfather Mountain. The balds in the foreground include Yellow and Hump Mountains. Beech Mountainis just beyond that with (correct me if I'm wrong) the Amphibolite Range of Watauga/Ashe Counties in the far distance.
dwhike
on Sep 3, 2006 3:35 am
Image Type(s): Panorama
Image ID: 222028

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
StarMan

StarMan - Jul 25, 2008 7:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Picture!

I plan to hike this mountain tomorrow... Yes that's definitely the Grandfather ridge to the right - but isn't that very far ridge, right behind Hump on the left, Mount Rogers and Grayson Highlands area in VA? I remember looking back from the Highlands area below Rogers' summit on a crisp clear winter day and seeing Hump and the Roan areas to the right (from Rogers' perspective) of the Grandfather ridge.

dwhike

dwhike - Jul 28, 2008 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Picture!

Thanks, took me three days to notice this so hope your hike went well. As for the Rogers thing I think we may both be right. Looking directly above Hump I believe that is Elk or another of the Amphibolites to the right and Rogers and the Highlands are slightly higher to the left. The distance makes them look like one range. Thats my best guess anyway because at least some of the Amphibolites should be visible. Cheers.

StarMan

StarMan - Jul 28, 2008 7:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Picture!

Yes, your explanation sounds right. Well, my 2nd hike up to Grassy Bald Saturday and for the 2nd time fog and rain, so no views
:-(

Viewing: 1-3 of 3