Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 32.00000°N / 110.00000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 7, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Thimble Peak Hike

The Chute
Dead Log and Rock Cairn
Three friends and I hiked to Thimble Peak from the Gordon Hirabayashi,
also known as Prison Camp trail head.This is a fee area.

Thimble Peak stands between Sabino Canyon and Bear Canyon.

We hiked to Shreve Saddle then down into Sycamore Reservoir on the Sycamore Reservoir trail. At 32.21.322N-110.45.236W(WGS84) You will come to a dead log and a rock cairn on the left side of the trail.Cross this log to a trail of use.

You will cross Sycamore River and continue on the trail.

At 32.20.787N-110.45.768W(WGS84)you will intersect with the Bear Canyon Trail junction. Just past this is a trail of use that will take you to
Thimble Peak.

To climb to the actual summit, you will need to climb the chute on the North side of the thimble. Once up the chute, you will find the summit register, however this is not the actual summit. That is twelve feet higher.
DANGER NOTE 1
This is not to be attempted without a harness and rope. There is a
bolt for clipping in. Do not trust any rope or webbing that you may find there. Climb at your own risk.

Total trip out and back will be just over 10 miles. The trail is very good, nothing technical and it is a great hike.

In the summer months, bring plenty of water and start very early.If you start when the sun is up, you have started too late. It gets hot here and there is no shade along the route.
The best time to hike this is in the winter time.
DANGER NOTE 2 !!
Do not rely on your cell phone if you get in trouble. There is no service
along this route. Plan ahead for trouble and let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.Bring water, headlight and dress for the weather.

Enjoy

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Danf

Danf - Jul 17, 2013 9:16 am - Hasn't voted

lat/long

check the coordiantes -- E should be W

MiketheMick

MiketheMick - Jun 21, 2015 2:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Thimble pk Old register

Bushwhacked from end of Sabino Canyon Rd. Summited both peaks. Register used to be on summit in a glass bottle in 1984. Soloed without gear first time. Did video on lower summit in '85.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2