This is me traversing across...

This is me traversing across...

This is me traversing across a ledge on the Loft Route. June 18, 2005
jennakate
on Oct 10, 2005 12:16 am
Image ID: 130292

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
eazyelion

eazyelion - Feb 8, 2006 7:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Snowy Loft Approach

How treacherous were those ledges in reaching the Loft? Without gear would it still be feasible crossing those ledges? I'd love to do that route, but not having ropes, axes, and such makes for some anxious moments. Any input on your ascent to the Loft would be great. Did you also go to Longs?

jennakate

jennakate - Feb 10, 2006 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Snowy Loft Approach

The traverse shown in that picture was maybe the second hardest part of the climb. Shortly after there was a steeper section. Nothing above a class three I would guess. I brought an ice axe and crampons and used both, but no rope needed. I know a guy went solo the same day with no gear and did fine. That legde was pretty icy and I enjoyed having my axe. Plus it was fun to practice my self arrest on the way down:) It all depends on your comfort level and how hard/easy you want to make it. You can definitely rent an ice axe for like $5 a day at the Estes Park Mountain Shop. When are you planning on going? I went in early June when the snow was pretty soft. You'd also want to check out avalanche conditions. I have another picture posted on the meeker page with the route outlined in red. I didn't do Longs that day, but keep checking out the Loft Route pages for Longs and Meeker, cause the route finding is tricky. Hope this helps!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2