Tomyhoi Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12
GlennD

GlennD - Feb 18, 2024 8:54 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2023

Tomyhoi  Sucess!

Scramble trip with the Mountaineers.

zhong

zhong - Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm Date Climbed: Oct 1, 2022

Tomyhoi double take  Sucess!

I actually summited twice this weekend.
Saturday (10/1), after pitching the tent, I went up alone. Had the summit all to myself.
Sunday (10/2), went up again with my 2 partners of the trip right after sunrise. We had the summit to ourselves.

Helmet recommended, especially if there're others climbing at the same time. I ditched ice axe and crampons in the tent.
There's a short stretch of snow, but can be walked carefully in just boots and poles. Spikes will be helpful here.

The tricky part is getting on the ridge. On Saturday, I attempted 3 different routes (see this photo. The one we ended using is the right most one. But you have to scramble up large rocks with a bit of loose sand on them. Not too bad. See this photo for the approach of this route). You'll see a large cairn once you are up there. From then on, it's straightforward. Yes, some exposure, but rocks are solid with good hand/foot holds.

On our way back on Sunday, saw many people trying to go up without helmet.

Fall color is amazing here.

Mike Horm

Mike Horm - Aug 7, 2022 7:46 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2022

Worth it  Sucess!

Countless visual rewards along the way. Lots of ridge time allowing views in all directions. Boot path was clearly defined for much of the ascent. A couple of snow fields to cross. Very little snow overall. Final 1/2 mile to summit provided multiple challenges related to route finding. The snow field just prior to the summit block requires ice axe. Snow was soft enough to kick steps without crampons. Final ascent has moderate exposure with mostly good rock with lots of good holds. Great fun!

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 5, 2020 8:40 pm Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2020

High Quality Peak  Sucess!

Great trail to ridge. The final summit ridges were dicey and spicy at times. We were the only ones who got to the summit because nobody else we encountered on the way up had a helmet, ice axe, and/or crampons. Fantastic views. Highly recommended for experienced climbers.

Norman

Norman - Sep 3, 2019 8:36 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2019

Tomyhoi success  Sucess!

Beautiful weather on summit day, no one else on the mountain, Nick and Norman

rtgomez90

rtgomez90 - May 21, 2017 4:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2015

Tomyhoi  Sucess!

Great introduction to Cascade scrambles.

JLuthanen

JLuthanen - Jun 22, 2015 10:28 am Date Climbed: Jun 21, 2015

Long fun kickoff to summer  Sucess!

This was more than I was expecting ... I guess I hadn't looked at or thought about overall gain and loss of elevation prior to climbing. Three solid sections where you end up gaining a lot and losing a lot starting at the camp near the lakes (felt a bit demoralizing after awhile). The final scramble made it all worth it

Euphonia

Euphonia - Dec 18, 2014 6:32 pm Date Climbed: Sep 27, 2014

Beautiful Day  Sucess!

Fantastic Mountain. Best climb of the year.

wyomtman

wyomtman - Aug 8, 2014 9:38 pm Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2014

Almost

Amazing view, just touched the top of the south ridge...

Travis_

Travis_ - Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2013

Backpacking summit  Sucess!

Spent the night at tarns and summited the next day, amazing.

https://facebook.com/travis.linds?__user=711895646

puddlecruiser

puddlecruiser - Oct 15, 2012 11:15 pm Date Climbed: Sep 30, 2012

Lots of exposure  Sucess!

Breathtaking, clear skies with a Supreme view. I could see the Olympic Peninsula, deep into Canada, smoke from fires way to the south, and the N Cascades were all in crystal clarity. Lots of air up there. It gave me the jitters. There was a 1" PVC holding the summit log when I was there. Amazingly, a 77 year old man did the climb the same day. If you're not comfortable with severe exposure, this scramble will give you pause, or even make you turn back.

jacobsmith

jacobsmith - Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2012

Tomyhoi  Sucess!

Air was smokey as hell, so no views to speak of but the climb itself was fun. Ice axe and crampons were definitely not needed. I would question whether several spots can really be considered class three, simply due to the steepness and exposure, but whatever.

tcingrum

tcingrum - Sep 17, 2012 11:36 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2012

Memorable  Sucess!

Incredible scenery. Have to go back

Karl Helser

Karl Helser - Sep 16, 2012 10:34 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2012

Very fun...  Sucess!

Very fun and straight forward climb. Camped at the tarns. I never saw so many dogs in one wilderness area. I later found that this area is one of only a few areas that allow dogs. Did a nice sunset trip up to Yellow Aster. Almost snow free... Leave the ice axe and crampons at home.

RyanHoover

RyanHoover - Aug 28, 2012 1:41 am Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2011

SE Ridge  Sucess!

Make sure to find the right path to the ridge, if it feels to hard it is. If the snow is gone, you can bypass the knife edge on a ledge to the right. Very fun climb.

fjes6

fjes6 - Aug 11, 2012 10:19 pm Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2012

Great Fun  Sucess!

Not bad, car to car in 8 hours. The final scramble was much fun! We had a Golden Retriever with us who also made the summit under her own power... Not to scary!

setrent - Oct 21, 2011 1:23 am Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2010

SE Ridge  Sucess!

Should have brought the skis! A neat scramble in an scenic area. The final 100 feet is fairly exposed, bring a rope if uncomfortable with exposure.

MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh - Oct 4, 2011 8:29 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2004

SE Ridge  Sucess!

Great, exposed scramble. Well worth the approach. Don't forget to take a dip in the lakes at BC.

Maria - Sep 18, 2011 8:33 pm Date Climbed: Oct 17, 2010

Tomyhoi  Sucess!

Fun :)

ericnoel

ericnoel - Oct 18, 2010 11:27 am Date Climbed: Oct 17, 2010

Tomyhoi  Sucess!

This was definitely tougher than expected. But we made it. It was a great day in the mtns with clear skies and the North Cascades out in force with a little dusting of fresh snow.

Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12
Return to 'Tomyhoi Peak' main page