Toquima Range Ramble

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.07924°N / 116.79428°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 16, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

So we went for a walk.

I had no idea central Nevada was so wet. After going to Eureka to meet my friend I got to looking at a map and saw the springs littered everywhere throughout the basins and ranges. so we headed to Stoneberger Creek to see what it would be like.

After seeing some galloping antelope in Monitor Valley
galloping antelopegalloping antelope


We proceeded to find the TH that was marked on the Nevada Road & Recreation Atlas. There was a flowing creek, very narrow and low volume and tucked into a skinny course in the sage flat.
stoneberger creek startstoneberger ceek start


Periodically the trail would dive into stands of aspen and larger trees and many thorny bushes that loved to meet our shins and legs.

Eventually we decided to quit tearing the flesh from our legs and took a high route, climbing the slopes towards White Rock Mountain, dodging the occasional Pinon Juniper stands. The higher we got the more sage gardens we encountered.
slopes slopes


Eventually we reached a high point that I am sure was not White Rock Mountain... but who cares ! We had a nice view on a nice day. aahhhhhhhh... life is good.
monitor rangefrom point 9662 (?)


Then we sauntered back down, traversing more diagonally back towards our starting point to avoid the bush whacks where trail disappears. We cut through a couple nice stands of aspen that dot the mountain sides and occur alongside Stoneberger Creek the higher in elevation you get.
another look,heading down


Then it was on to Potts hot spring. What a great way to end the day !
aahhhhhhhhhh...potts hot spring




Comments

No comments posted yet.