Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Pretty good for your first page. A few suggestions: Colin Neblett is a State Wildlife Area and not a "Wilderness" area. Please include contact information for Cimarron Canyon State Park which is where Colin Neblett Wildlife Area is located. Finally, you can attach some of your photos to the main page to show them off. Otherwise, good stuff!
Posted Jan 20, 2004 5:29 pm

DukeJHUntitled Comment

DukeJH

Thanks for the comments. Coming from you I feel pretty good about it.
Posted Jan 20, 2004 5:39 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Looks great! Congratulations on your first child. :-)
Posted Jan 20, 2004 6:35 pm

tocUntitled Comment

toc

Ditto above.

OTOH it may be interesting to hear/read

how the mountain got this interesting name

in the first place?

Sounds fairly unusual. Any story behind it?
Posted Jan 20, 2004 5:51 pm

DukeJHUntitled Comment

DukeJH

Good idea. I'll look into it. My best guess is because it is so close to the Philmont boundary, the USGS decided to name it Touch Me Not to discourage Boy Scouts from leaving the property to climb it.
Posted Jan 21, 2004 8:47 am

DukeJHUntitled Comment

DukeJH

Thanks for the info on the Misc section. I have deleted it.

We're planning to be out that way sometime this summer to do a backpacking trip into the Wheeler Peak Wilderness and will probably d touch me not with my oldest daughter to establish the "tradition."
Posted Jan 21, 2004 8:49 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Good page with comprehensive information.
Posted Jan 21, 2004 2:56 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Nice page
Posted Jan 22, 2004 1:22 am

RachelUntitled Comment

Rachel

Good Page. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Rachel
Posted Mar 16, 2004 1:08 pm

Mark DoironParking Lot

Mark Doiron

In 2005 we found a parking lot, perhaps added since your last visit? We got directions from the Angel Fire Tourist Agency and she said if we reached the antenna farm (we did) that we'd missed the turn that would take us to the parking lot. We went back, found an unmarked turn (to the left, as I recall) and continued back up. There was a parking lot that could fit quite a few vehicles on the left side of the road. We parked there and continued down a road (barricaded with felled logs) until we reached the cairned trail head below.

BTW: We were in a 2-wheel drive Suburban. As the article mentions, 4-wheel drive is desirable; high clearance is a must.

--mark d.
Posted Sep 7, 2006 1:21 pm

urraca manBagged this peak during Rayado.

urraca man

My crew was fortunate enough to bag this peak during our Rayado trek while at Philmont. We summitted Baldy Mountain before sunrise and then took the north ridge straight to the summit. The scree fields and the long ascent was pretty brutal. We got caught in a nasty rain storm on the way down. We bushwhacked through the dense forest on the east side of the mountain for a couple of hours until we intersected with a trail to Baldy Town. Then we stocked up on food and made our way to Miranda. It was by far the toughest day hiking in my life.
Posted Nov 16, 2016 12:46 pm

DukeJHRe: Bagged this peak during Rayado.

DukeJH

Congrats uraccaman! I've often thought about linking up Touch Me Not and Baldy as an out and back starting with TMN but I usually end up attempting it in the late fall or early winter when conditions are not favorable for a solo trip. Three separate Philmont trips over 21 years (youth, trail crew, and advisor) and I still haven't gotten Baldy.
Posted Nov 17, 2016 3:30 pm

urraca manRe: Bagged this peak during Rayado.

urraca man

Luckily we were able to traverse the ridge in absolutely beautiful weather. It was great until the afternoon rain came. Luckily we off the ridge. I definitely would not want to be up there in any type of adverse weather.
Posted Nov 20, 2016 9:51 pm