Tourist Crack

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the end of the canyon at the Temple of Sinawava jump the wooden fence behind the toilets and walk to your right towards the obvious left facing corner crack. Many tourists will watch you as you sweat up the climb. This is an excellent crack.

Route Description

Tourist CrackBeautiful left facing corner crack
The crack is mostly thin to tight hands with a short offwidthy section on the top below the anchors. After a somewhat slippery starting move get into the crack and jam your way using mostly red camalots. The route occasionally takes yellow camalots higher up. Just below the anchors a wide section appears. Deep in the crack you can place a #3.5 camalot and do couple fist jams to the anchor. This top part is the crux of the climb.
Tourist CrackStart of the crack.

Essential Gear

Some smaller gear for the start #0.5 BD camalot and a red alien, for the rest of the route 4 or 5 #1, one #3 camalots. The wide section can be protected with one #4 and #5 camalots. A single 60m rope will not get you entirely to the ground but to the lower ledge from which you could down climb. Otherwise use a single 70m rope or double up the ropes.

Geography