Traverse Pigne d'Arolla (3790m) and Mont-Blanc de Cheillon (3870m)

Traverse Pigne d'Arolla (3790m) and Mont-Blanc de Cheillon (3870m)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 2, 2011
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Summer

With Pierre (guide), Patrick and Denis

Starting just above Arolla in the afternoon we hiked up to the Cabanes des Vignettes in a good path. After a good sleep we woke up before everyone at 4:30 am. fully equipped except Patrick who didn’t check the battery of its headlamp… (really strange for someone so organized) The ascent up to the summit of the Pigne is an excellent warm up to head for Cheillon. We felt in good shape and the weather condition were outstanding! A break on the top at 7:30 am allow us to admire the beautiful landscape around us and the sun rising as often I feel a unique wind of freedom in the mountain.


We resumed our trip by a gentle descent and then went up to the bottom of the Mt-Blanc de Cheillon. A completely different climb started with a rocky mountain and obviously a more technical ascent. At the beginning I struggled to find out the pace of climbing but after some encouragements of Pierre I managed to be in it and get pleasure to escalate this mountain which is vertiginous at some passant but so rewarding. My friends easily went up with few help of the guide. Actually they felt really confident. Again a nice break on the top at around 12 am give us the time to relax and enjoy the landscape.

We carefully went down to the other side of this rocky mountain. After passing the col we walk down in a snowy path to reach the cabane des dix and then back to Arolla in a nice but long path.
It was a fantastic adventure again and a great achievement for us. It was also a different type of hiking that I used to do with alpine and technical skills.


Comments

No comments posted yet.