Viewing: 1-4 of 4

mtnview - May 29, 2006 11:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Traverse

Nice report Brad,
The diagonal ramp looks fairly wide but I was wondering how wide the ledges ( 1 foot 2 foot?) are from the small notch to the start of the ramp? Narrow with a big drop to your left?

Mtnview

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - May 30, 2006 3:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Traverse

Thanks for the comment.

To answer your question, there is a big drop to the left, but the ledge is not as narrow as the pictures may make it appear. I would say it is a few feet wide in most places (though of course snow and ice can make it considerably narrower). Nevertheless, be prepared for some exposure. I remember the most exposed part actually being scrambling on the slopes before we even made it to the notch/ledges/ramp. It is not an extremely difficult scramble, but it can make for a long day. Very fun and I highly recommend it!

elchivoloco

elchivoloco - Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Inspiring!

Great report Brad,
Your report proved a winter traverse was doable and motivated me to give it a try. I soloed Bierstadt and Evans on Jan 20th, '09 but had difficulty route finding on the ridge. I ended up traversing steep snow on the east side 3/4 of the way, but I eventually lost my nerve and descended a coulior to Abyss Lake.
Well done on the ridge and thanks for the great report.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Jan 28, 2009 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Inspiring!

Thanks! Good on you for not pushing it, conditions can really vary up there in the winter.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'A Winter Traverse of the Bierstadt-Evans Sawtooth' main page